ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Some WTF pics.....

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
... Then they mixed sand and salt and eventually went to salt only. There is a state DOT facility not far from me that had huge piles of road sand but by about '98 those piles were gone and a huge salt shed remained. ...

Part of that decision is based on the fact that the sand is much worse on the roads & pavement than the studded tires are. Furthermore, it doesn't help dry traction at all, and probably contributes to a fair number of crashes on corners & red lights. Dry sand on dry roads is like an abrasive lubricant.

I used to only be able to buy sand/salt at 50/50 ratio. Lesser values for salt were available, but almost no one was buying straight salt. Eventually, the market got wiser, and straight salt was the routine request. One of my property manager customers identified that going to straight salt dramatically reduced their paving expenses, and eliminated all the sandy mess as well.

GrizG

ArboristSite Guru
Removable crampons are a bit more practical, unless perhaps you are going jogging. They are quite a bit more practical to slide in a bag than a whole new set of shoes.
It definitely depends on how and when you need them. For me the boots made more sense for walking on ponds, mountain biking, and getting around during ice storms. I have big crampons for backcountry use. I haven't had a need for things like YakTrax to date but if I do more winter hiking in variable conditions in the mountains they are a possibility. With my IceBug boots and Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires I can ride my bicycle around on smooth frozen ponds like it's summer as well as on icy and snowy roads and trails. One time I rode my bicycle all around my club's pond during an ice fishing tournament and visited with all the kids and other fishermen. The ice was smooth as glass with no snow on it. It was amusing for all. ;)

SchwalbeIceSpiker.jpg

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
Sounds like you're near Grahamsville... Yeah up in the mountainous areas near me some of the locales use a sand/salt mix. I think it's more about the money than it is about the function in those areas. I'm closer to the Hudson River and I cannot think of a single nearby town, city or state facility that still uses sand. Gotta get a bit west into the Catskills for that. I too remember the spring clean up of the sand. We literally had a small berm along the front of our property from the years of sand build up. I cleaned that up near the house but the other 300 feet or so of frontage was left alone. There is a significant pile to this day just south of the driveway.
Napanoch , Town of Poughkeepsie still sands . I have a house there too ,near New Hamburg they have the street sweeper clean the road in front of the house every spring . I’ve called several times because the guy would go to dump the bin and never comes back . So one side is nice and clean the other sand and tiny gravel .
I’ve had to clean the road with a broom before cause it gets tracked in the house and sand on hardwood isn’t a good compo. Guess it’s up to the municipality

GrizG

ArboristSite Guru
Napanoch , Town of Poughkeepsie still sands . I have a house there too ,near New Hamburg they have the street sweeper clean the road in front of the house every spring . I’ve called several times because the guy would go to dump the bin and never comes back . So one side is nice and clean the other sand and tiny gravel .
I’ve had to clean the road with a broom before cause it gets tracked in the house and sand on hardwood isn’t a good compo. Guess it’s up to the municipality
I don't get down that way much any more... I tend to go north and west of my location for hunting, hiking and bicycling. When I did go down to Napanoch regularly I seldom went south of ECF on 209.

southpaw

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah I'll check on-line ....my boots are good but they will lose a screw on occasion and that could mean flat tire around here
I did re -do the screw pattern this year and used Gorilla glue, that seems to be working but would like to have better pair like you showed

woodchuckcanuck

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite