ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Some WTF pics.....

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Everybody knows about Stonehenge, right?

What about the Stones of Stenness on the Orkney islands ? (North of Scotland)
1614352901908.png
"The Stones of Stenness are five remaining megaliths of a henge, the largest of which is 6 metres (20 ft) high. The site is thought to date from 3100 BC, one of the earliest dates for a henge anywhere in Britain."

How about the Ring of Brodgar?
1614353254630.png
"The ring stands on a small isthmus between the Lochs of Stenness and Harray and it is generally thought to have been erected between 2500 BC and 2000 BC."

"The great Orcadian Neolithic monuments were constructed almost a millennium before the sarsen stones of Stonehenge were erected."

pdqdl

pdqdl

Nah. Ducks do that on their own.
1614357697592.png

Reminds me of a stunt I pulled one time:
I was visiting some relatives when they were at a summer camp in Minnesota. I spotted a wild duck hen next to the shoreline sleeping on one leg, as shown above (or attempting to). I decided to sneak up on it. I would take small steps or movements and then freeze. Throughout the whole event, the duck would open one eye, look about a bit, then close it's eye again. After every eye-closing, I would do another sneak closer. I kept at it from about 75' away until I was crouched on the ground right next to the bird, easily within arms reach. When I was eventually right beside it, the duck opened both eyes, took a nice long look at me, and decided it was time to FLEE!​
I could easily have snatched up the wild duck by hand alone. I really wanted to grab it, but decided that would be a bit too mean. The little bird was just trying to take a nap.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Göbekli Tepe

The oldest known human structure. 9,000-10,000 BCE!
1614355441124.png
1018316866.jpg

At 45 years each, that is 267 generations ago. By the same metric, Rome started only 46 generations back.
It is not thought that mankind had even begun to grow crops yet. The archeologists think this was built by hunter-gatherers, and that it took as many as 500 men at one time to move some of the megaliths.
"More than 200 pillars in about 20 circles are known (as of May 2020) through geophysical surveys. Each pillar has a height of up to 6 m (20 ft) and weighs up to 10 tons. They are fitted into sockets that were hewn out of the local bedrock."​
Most unusual of all, from my perspective: The whole thing seems to have been preserved by deliberately burying it, rather than just abandonment. And this was done about 4000 years before the Egyptians ever thought about stacking up rocks.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nah. Ducks do that on their own.
View attachment 892027

Reminds me of a stunt I pulled one time:
I was visiting some relatives when they were at a summer camp in Minnesota. I spotted a wild duck hen next to the shoreline sleeping on one leg, as shown above (or attempting to). I decided to sneak up on it. I would take small steps or movements and then freeze. Throughout the whole event, the duck would open one eye, look about a bit, then close it's eye again. After every eye-closing, I would do another sneak closer. I kept at it from about 75' away until I was crouched on the ground right next to the bird, easily within arms reach. When I was eventually right beside it, the duck opened both eyes, took a nice long look at me, and decided it was time to FLEE!​
I could easily have snatched up the wild duck by hand alone. I really wanted to grab it, but decided that would be a bit too mean. The little bird was just trying to take a nap.
That Oscar Wilde statement wooda had even more meaning for U a moment after that duck was in hand.
Hadda a couple wild animal grabs that tole me to kill em before picking them up!

Bedford

Bedford

ArboristSite Guru
The photo was taken by photographer Timo Harsch who, in commenting on the photo, says this:
"This isn’t Helsinki-Vantaa, it’s Munich airport! South African Airbus A340-642 ZS-SNG on flight SA 264 from Johannesburg generating incredible wake turbulence at the break of dawn. This is definitely one of my photos of a lifetime as everything fitted perfectly on this day! I had been checking the position of the sunrise in the rwy 08R axis for weeks and the 30th of March was the perfect day. There’s no doubt that this photo was worth waking up at 3 in the morning!"

1614411699376.png