ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Some WTF pics.....

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
This has to be photoshopped. They never work like they are supposed to. :)

Yes they do, just not as often as you would like them to.

My problem with that picture is that the threads are impregnated with steel filings, When the easy-out works right, the threads come out clean, not covered up with crap.

pdqdl

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
Zackly. I’ve always wondered why they were called EZ Outs. More often than not , they’re anything but EZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They work pretty well on bolts that broke off due to overtightening. Rusted in and broke off because they are stuck... That's another story.

I've had real good luck over the years building up a post of weldment on the broken stud/bolt, providing it is in a cast iron block. Build up a post, and then back it out by gripping with a locking jaw plier, or weld a nut onto it. The many short spot welds required to build a post seem to put enough heat-cool cycles on it that the bolt remnant is no longer frozen, and the hung up stud comes out.

There is a lot to be said for just using a left-hand drill bit, too. Size it big enough to miss the thread of the block, and drill away! At some point, the stud usually unscrews and comes out clean with most of the threads cut off. Of course, that is presuming you can lay hands on a good left-handed drill bit of the right size. :innocent:

Besides, the name might suggest that they are for Easy-(to get)-out broken studs.