Somebody tell me about the Stihl 015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Found a Stihl 015 in near mint shape, and could probably pick it up for 75 bucks.

I don't need another shelf queen.

Is the 015 in any way collectable or rare?

Thanks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dingeryote,

Um, I can't say for sure, but I get the impression that Stihl came out with the 015 as it's first attempt in the real homeowner market. I was still working in the Stihl shop around, lets see 1973 or so when they came out. I don't think we had any in the saw shop.

As I remember, the 015 was about like an 020 without AV. Am I wrong? I sure could be.

Is there a collector niche? I think so, if you want to mark the beginning of cheaper homeowner saws in the stihl line.

Bob

With the 1/4 inch chain, it was a sweet saw.

I had one in the shop 9 years ago, the guy's dad bought it new, never ran.

Turned out the points cap pinched a wire from the factory, grounding it.
I asked the Stihl rep about the warranty, he laughed.
Never, ever was even started. I should have made him an offer.

015 Stihl

Found a Stihl 015 in near mint shape, and could probably pick it up for 75 bucks.

I don't need another shelf queen.

Thanks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nice little saw! I have one also that is in very good shape. A 32cc, top handle, arborist saw for climbing. Mine is one of the early models with the saw cutting wood on the recoil. It does not have a chain brake or anti vibe. I believe it is about a 1970.
I do not think they are high on the collectors scale, but not very common.:greenchainsaw:

Not sure its a collector saw. I have 3, 015AV's, one with a chainbrake and one 015L. Like to use for limbing but parts are getting hard to find. Dealer did say, when I was looking for parts, that its a much better saw then the newer 170. $75.00 isn't a bad price. Seen them go for more on Ebay.

I don't know if anyone considers it more collectable then anything else that age. We sold a lot of them. First Stihl I know of that was built cheaply. Nothing like an 020. 015 has needle-bearings for main-bearings that ride directly on the crankshaft. Also has a cylinder that serves as half the crankcase like many Poulans. But, at least all was magnesium. Can't say we had any real problems with them as homeowner saws. We had many more problems with the 011 when it came out later.

Ding,

If of interest for some reference, I picked up a nice 015AV with new chain and some new clutch parts on it for $45 a couple months back. Saw is from around 1980. Runs and cuts well and weight is light. I see alot of them and 009L models around here. I like the air filter setup on the 015. It stays clean a lot longer than the 009L setup.

I learned to cut using my Dad's 2 015 top handle saws. The straight 015 and 015L don't have any sort of AV, but the AV rear handle version does and is a nice comfortable limbing saw with quite a bit of grunt. They are amazingly easy to take apart and are a simple design. Many parts are NLA however. So if it has coil trouble at some point you will be stuck looking at ebay for help on a new or used one. If it runs great, buy it and use it. You can't really go wrong for that price. JJuday

With the 1/4 inch chain, it was a sweet saw.

I had one in the shop 9 years ago, the guy's dad bought it new, never ran.

Turned out the points cap pinched a wire from the factory, grounding it.
I asked the Stihl rep about the warranty, he laughed.
Never, ever was even started. I should have made him an offer.

That's exactly what happened to one of my 015AV. A local shop couldn't figure it out so I decided to part it out. Found the bare wire in the process and haven't had a problem since. Have two them now and find them to be more than adequate for small jobs and they are easy to handle. The AV is decent too. I put a dime time carving bar on one.

if it has coil trouble at some point you will be stuck looking at ebay for help on a new or used one.

If a magneto-breaker-point setup, the parts are American made, unlike the parts in other Stihl saws at the time that used German or Swedish components. O15 used parts made by REPCO (R.E. Phelon), same as many cheap Homelites. At one time, when we sold both Stihl and Homelite, we used igntion parts from Homelite to tune up 015s - because buying from Homelite was a little bit cheaper

dingeryote

I have an 015L that was given to me ,it's in pretty decent shape.I had a thread going on it.You might want to look at the thread and see if there's anything answered in that thread
Lawrence

I use the heck out of my 015. Its the top handle not the av. I don't think they have any collector value.... but are sure nice to use for small stuff. Mine had the 1/4" chain, I swapped it out to the 3/8 LP. If you need a top handle saw, I say buy it and use it. They have great power for there size. I run a 12" bar on mine and bury it quite a bit. :)

Thanks for all the great info guys!!! :clap:

I need another saw like I need another Gun...

But I reckon a good running top handle wont hurt for snipping Blueberrys, and the Super 2 is a PITA now and then.

This one is minty except somebody used a vibratory engraver to put 015A on the clutch cover...dorks!!
Not a scratch on it otherwise.

Points. LOL!! I miss 'em in the Jeep, not so sure I miss 'em on small engines.:D

WTH.
If I don't like it, I can always sell it I reckon.

Thanks again gang!!
Y'all ain't helping with this CAD problem at all!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The Stihl 015 is one of the most interesting Stihl chainsaws I've looked into - lots of different versions (including the rare 015 R), the first Stihl made int he USA, and it's a top handle or rear handle.

Back