Something new Coming.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa firewood cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ordered and echo 680 p, coming next Friday, have heard mixed feelings about these saws but can’t resist trying one out, I believe the power will feel somewhere between my 465 rancher and my fathers ms 441, I know they are heavy but are a good value, I figured that I could take a chance since I have other saws to use. anyone have anything they would like to share good or bad?

I have a bunch of Echo saws and love them but shied away from that model, didn’t seem to have the guts for its size. Depending on price a Makita 6421 might have been a better choice. Hey, it could turn out to be a real beast. If it’s like other Echo saws a muff mod and retuning the carb will help. Good luck.

Where you at in PA? I’m about 50 miles north of Pittsburgh.

The 680P is a modern version of the 6700/670 from what I've seen. I've owned a 6700 and two 670's and sent them down the road. They are dubbed to be "high torque" designs but I wasn't overly impressed with them. They do OK, but stall too easily against the clutch in big material for my liking, and not really high RPM designs either. They don't have an inboard clutch and also oil the chain all the time.

The 680P may have better features and improved power but I've never ran one.

The home-run in the Echo line-up is the CS-590/600/620P's. They are all based on the same design and the 620P is dubbed to have 15 percent more power. I have no gripes at all with the power output of the CS-590/600's and have logged enough hours on mine they should be slam worn out but still run as good as the day they came out of the box..........Cliff

What rpm do these saws like to run at? Also what’s the best way to remove the carb limiters?

I got to run the 680 today, I am pleased with how it runs, I don’t feel that this saw is heavy, but then again I used to run a husky 395 a lot. It cut right with my dads ms 441 but my 680 is also running a 24” bar, the 441 has a 20 inch on it, for $620.00s It’s a deal.

In for a full report how it runs. Echo saws really wake up with a muff mod and re-tune. I see an 800P in my future at some point....not really sure why though.

I am hoping to give a full report after some more run time, I only have two tanks of gas threw it , I’m pleased with it so far, it will be interesting to see how it runs after it is broken in.

Back