Used Husqvarna rebuild project for 42” bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasinvancouver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m going to start reading up on rebuilding a saw. Preferably a big Husqvarna capable of pulling a 42” bar. I’ve never torn one down and rebuilt it so I’m looking for a learning project. Focusing on Husqvarna because I think parts will be easier to come by compared to the more controlled Stihl supply line. I’m in no hurry to find one and get started, there’s no present need for it, just wanting a project.

I’m looking for recommendations on what saw I should be on the lookout for and what to stay away from. Parts need to be available and I’m not looking to do any real mods to it so it has to be capable of a 42” in it’s own right.

If for falling and bucking, 288/390xp. If for milling, go for larger.
Agreed, although this would depend on how often it'll be wearing a 42" bar... 394/5 would be the smallest you would want to go if milling or using the 42" regularly. I think they are usually cheaper/easier to get bits for than the 2100 or 3120. Whatever way you go, if you're building the saw I'd consider at least doing a muffler mod too

Agreed, although this would depend on how often it'll be wearing a 42" bar... 394/5 would be the smallest you would want to go if milling or using the 42" regularly. I think they are usually cheaper/easier to get bits for than the 2100 or 3120. Whatever way you go, if you're building the saw I'd consider at least doing a muffler mod too
Currently have a 462 with a 28. I’m going to get a 32 for it soon. The big husky would wear a 42 all the time for bucking, but only used occasionally.

Currently have a 462 with a 28. I’m going to get a 32 for it soon. The big husky would wear a 42 all the time for bucking, but only used occasionally.
I'm generally a Husky guy, but given you have Stihl stuff already why not build a 660 with a MM & a high volume oiler. That way your bars etc would all be interchangeable

Be an anarchist- why conform to the old 394/5 2100 3120 choices (apart from the obvious parts availability! )
Go find yourself a 298! :yes:

:laugh:
I had a nice 298 up for sale, but someone's already bought it. Aside from the lack of a manual override oiler, it was the same as a 2100. Same jug, same slug, same wrap, same muffler, etc. Some 298's had a funny recoil and some 2101's had a huge muffler, put the 2101 muffler on a 298 and that would be a unique saw!

Back