ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Sometimes you get paid in other ways than money on the job

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yesterday I took an elderly fella to his doctor appointment and I asked him what nationality he was as he clearly had a European accent, and he said he was German and asked me what I was and I said "German and Hungarian" and he lit up and said "me too!", proceeded to talk to me in Hungarian even though I told him that I don't speak it, I used to when younger but forgot it and my grandmother always regretted not teaching me more. He was so happy, asked me about her, talked about going over to Hungary with his second wife in 1996, and was telling me many stories of Hungary's history, a really nice guy and he enjoyed it and so did I. I said "my Grandmother must be beaming right now", and he said "it's too bad, I could talk to her" if she was still here but she passed in 2009. But he was so so happy and that made me happy.

When we got back to his house he asked me to sit in the transport for a minute. I had no idea why but I did it. He went inside and came to the door so I got out and he asked me to step inside his house, and he had a magnifying glass and a ceramic plate that said "Budapest" on it. He needed the magnifier because he just got shots in his eyes (a common procedure I am discovering), and proceeded to tell me that he and his wife bought this in Hungary when they went in 1996, and he said "I want to give this to you, I want you to have this", and I told him he didn't have to do that, but he insisted and said there was only one other person he was thinking of to give it to but said "but after talking to you I want you to take it, and think of your grandmother" and added "I don't know how long I'm going to live, so take it, and when you get older give it to someone too". Well, this just melted my heart, I told him I would take it and think of her AND him, and he was happy with that.

I am amazed since working this job for the Vision Loss center what I am hearing and witnessing, and this is just one of the many things that to me you can't put a price on. I know it was a struggle and shock when I was laid off but after going through the change to this job the other night I realized that things are going to be okay, if I can just avoid getting this virus until things are more under control I feel I will come out of it better than I went in, out of bad came good, and I just wanted to share with you some of the things that I am witnessing now and the spirit and determination of people who are not able to drive anymore all the way up to being totally blind and everything in between, they are amazing how they cope and deal with things, just amazing.

Also take care of your eyes, it may seem like a simple thing to think of but do it, so we can hopefully avoid some issues I see others suffering with.

But what happened yesterday with this man, you can't put a price on it, worth more than any amount of money.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yesterday we took some of the clients to the local farmer's market, picked them up and got them there so they could shop for a few hours and seeing how happy and excited they were to get out and do something made my heart smile, they really so appreciate it but think of it, they have poor or no vision, so imagine how lonely that is to start with times 200 thanks to this Covid and all of it's restrictions so they must really feel isolated, so this was great! When we drive them we are allowed to drop them off and we are able to do what we want until we take them back home, but yesterday one of the volunteer guides didn't show up and another client who didn't come with us got his own ride there and figured that he would hang out with us so they asked me if I could help chaperone him who is almost completely blind and another woman with bad eyesight and I did it, and it was another rewarding experience! As we walked he held my arm, the lady was behind us, and I would do a running "announcement" of what stands we were near, what they sold etc. and many people would just stare at me for a few seconds until they realized why I was saying "here we have a butchers stand.....now we're at the candy stand...produce stand with all kinds of vegetables.....here is a stand with desserts and breads and all kinds of cakes and pies...." and if they wanted I would rattle off the different kinds of breads or pies and once the people realized why I was doing a "running commentary" they smiled and looked away lol!

But it was great, such a big change from the physical packing and shipping job that I did for over 21 years but there is plenty of physical work right at home to do, and this is something that I can do as I head towards retirement, and I have a feeling that they already are thinking of "grooming" me to be the replacement for our transportation scheduler/driver if he leaves, it is going that well, they like me and I like them, and I seem to have already left my old job in the dust, I am so thankful I lucked into this job but as others have told me "not everyone can do this job, not everyone has the patience or personality that these people need" but I guess I do, when I was being trained how to deal with people the woman training me told me I was a "natural" at it so it is a great fit, so blessed and thankful I lucked into it as like I had said I know MANY older people who are really struggling trying to find work and it doesn't look like the prospects are getting any brighter for them, I pray daily that they find something too and soon.