ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Songbirds and Salmonellis

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
From the first article
“Salmonellis is almost exclusively reported from locations with bird feeders where birds congregate,” the CDFW said."

So, common sense, and 63 years of observation, tells me the "where birds congregate" is BS.
That leaves "bird feeders" suspect.... and, specifically, what's in them.
From the CDC lab reports:
"WGS showed that bacteria from sick people’s samples are closely related genetically. This means that people in this outbreak likely got sick from contact with the same source.

Officials in Oregon and Washington collected samples from sick or dead wild pine siskin birds. WGS analysis showed that the Salmonella from the pine siskins are closely related to bacteria from sick people."

All this means, and they neglected to mention, is that both the birds and the people got sick from the same source.... the one thing they all had in common was physical contact with was the bird seed in the feeders.

What they're not saying speaks volumes, imo.

Whenever there is a human salmonella outbreak what's the first thing they do? Locate the food source of the bacteria. They don't blame it on the grocery stores, or restaurants.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
How, does this even qualify as an "outbreak"?? 19 people spread out over eight states, over a three month time period.. :wtf:
One person, every few days...from the east coast to the west coast.
5-6 people in WA and OR combined
3-4 people in CA
1 in OK,
1 in KY
1 in TN
1 in MS
1 in NH
ALL over a three month period!!
:laughing:
Who's idea was it to turn this into a big bird pandemic??
What a bunch of freaking crazyass people in this world. :dizzy:

Sorry for wasting everyone's time with this one.
:rolleyes:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, just for the record, I did go out today and clean and scrub the bird bath. I hadn't realized just how bad it was. Used some bleach to disinfect it while I was at it. Rinsed it all out and filled it once again.

It's looking so good now................ :rock2:
Use vinegar, not bleach.
Mine doesn't hold water long enough to get dirty... in the summer it gets a rust colored crud on it that I scrub out.

Del_

Career arborist
It's pretty well documented Sherlock.

Human Salmonella Infections from Live Poultry in Backyard Flocks​

Chickens, ducks, geese, turkey, and other live poultry can carry Salmonella germs in their guts. Live poultry can have Salmonella germs in their droppings and on their feathers, feet, and beaks, even when they appear healthy and clean. These germs can spread to the environment where poultry live and roam, including their coops, cages, hay, soil, and feed and water dishes. People can get sick from contact with anything in the bird’s environment, even if they don’t touch the bird directly. Backyard poultry flocks are an increasing and important cause of Salmonella infections in people in the United States.

lone wolf

MS 200T King

Del_

Career arborist

Georgians Finding Sick, Dead Birds As Finches Crowd Feeders​

MOLLY SAMUEL • FEB 26, 2021

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
You just can't be nice, can you. This was a pretty benign, non aggressive thread, and then you had to ruin it. I suggest you look around and try to think about what is going well for your life, and then try to have a better outlook. Maybe take a day or two off from the net? Go somewhere where there is no signal? Lots of places to do that here. it would be very good for you.
Yeah, like Del never started a fight. You reap what you sow.