ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Sorry FedEx common sense....

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by NCPABill, Apr 17, 2019.

1. NCPABill

NCPABill ArboristSite Operative

Venting a little, but mostly calm and now wanting to warn others here who have given me great advice, and a little humor....

I ordered a perishable item (tree seedings). When I received my tracking number, I logged on and checked it out. It said Direct Signature required. I wanted to have the Direct Signature removed. Justin in customer service said that I could not, but the shipper could. The shipper attempted to do so, but was told they could not. They also informed me that their FedEx account defaults to that, and they missed turning that option off. I attempted to pay the $5.55 fee to have it delivered after 5:00 pm, and neither the computer nor three customer service agents were able to take my money and make the change. I supposedly spoke with the highest supervisory person available to try to rectify this issue. To no avail.....

I am going to be more than happy to never use FedEx again, and quite frankly, if the shipper only uses FedEx, I will buy elsewhere.

Again, in what I would envision as a competitive market, I have never, ever, experienced such lack of customer service and common sense. Godspeed to all who choose FedEx. I hope that all of you either have a better experience, or choose another way (which will likely be a better experience!).

Husky Man, SeMoTony and TNTreeHugger like this.
  2. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

Have had one issue with them in the last 12 years & that was eventually resolved.
    Imo I'm thankful they have it as I'm always reading of packages left by the door only to be stolen by some jack***

In my neck-o-the-woods they usually always deliver after 3pm so I can plan accordingly.
    On occasion I've called & have had them hold it at the nearest terminal for pick-up later

SeMoTony, NCPABill and cuinrearview like this.
  3. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

Only good experience with FedEx here. Sorry to hear about your experience OP.

4. TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.

I like having direct signatures but It can a pain to get switched, I've had that issue more than once with ups, usps, and FedEx. Anymore I just just pick up the package at a terminal, it's just simpler for me.

SeMoTony and NCPABill like this.
  5. bear1998

bear1998 ArboristSite Operative

FedEx sucks around here...plain n simple!
    I had nothin but problems with them for the past 15 years.
    We ordered a bunch of items when we were getting ready to move into our new home....they screwed up the delivery 6 times in 2 weeks..somebody got some nice things. Had to call the companies myself to get refunds or credits because fedex idiots wouldnt do nothin!
    UPS in are area are FAR SUPERIOR....at least they know where they are goin...as far as im concerned ..fedex should have never got into the parcel delivery side.

6. cbfarmall

cbfarmall Addicted to ArboristSite

I've had to use the online option (as the receiver) to have it held at a Fedex store. If I catch it the day before or earlier, there is usually no delay in delivery. Works for me.

USPS has been far more problematic.

SeMoTony likes this.
  7. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

There's a FedEx van stuck about 800' down my tractor trail towards our market garden right now. He drove down there in the middle of a torrential rain event yesterday. The whole trail is downhill and looked like a creek when he attempted it. He drove through our parking lot and past 4 buildings that he could have dropped the package at. Asked if I could pull him out with the tractor. I said maybe Friday. Poor guy had to walk the rest of his packages up to the road to meet his replacement truck.

rps20190418_112707_348.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, but he's parked in standing water.

svk, SeMoTony and Duce like this.
  8. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

3 different FedEx's:
    air;
    freight;
    home delivery.

I have had some deliveries divided up among more than one (computer systems). Most home delivery guys are sub-contractors, as I understand, operating their own trucks (style and graphics to FedEx's specs), so there can be a lot of variation in service quality.

I happen to live 300 yards from a FedEx retail location, so I can have things shipped there. Even signature required stuff.

You may not live as close, but might be able to find a convenient location that works for you.

Philbert

TheBrushSlasher and SeMoTony like this.
  9. svk

svk A little bit of everything

They are the worst up here. We live 11 miles from town and if they don’t feel like driving out they’ll make an excuse like bad weather, road not plowed, recipient not home, etc.

In the last year they’ve started hanging envelopes and small packages in a clear bag out on the bank of mailboxes which could very easily have been stolen.

Best part is they use a 4x4 pickup WITH mud tires yet still pull the bad roads excuse.

10. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

My brother lives next door to me and he gets his medicine shipped and some of it comes fed ex. One driver pulled up and asked if I was him and I said no he lives rite there but he's house bound so you will have to walk up and knock on his door.
    She promptly pulled up and started honking the horn. I was still standing there and I told her again that she would have to get out of her truck and walk 10 feet to his door. She continued to honk the horn as if what I just told her went rite over her head.
    I told her for the third time and she drove off without delivering his meds. Lazy azz bit ch.

svk likes this.
  11. svk

Stuff like that just makes you shake your head. No cure for stupid

NCPABill likes this.
  12. svk

We’ve had two more bad experiences with Fedex this week:

Monday my wife gets a notification that a package was delivered. Nothing. Says left AT front door. Checks all over and no package. Finally she walks into our guest house (which is just a small building with sauna, small bedroom, and kitchenette). There’s the package on the kitchen counter. WTF!!! Why would they go IN a secondary building rather than bring the package to the house.

Wednesday she gets a package delivery notification. “Delivered at front door 4:00 PM”. Our kids were outside and never saw anyone. She checks all the doors, checks the guest house Nothing. Calls Fedex and of course they promise to call back but never do. I got home at 8:30 and nothing anywhere (remember it said delivered at 4 PM). This morning I bring the kids to the bus and there’s the damn package tied to the mailbox out on the main road which was delivered sometime after 8:30 last night. What the hell!

stihlaficionado likes this.
  13. stihlaficionado

Tied to the mailbox?

Dunno, may have done you a public service as flying boxes can be a hazard th-1.jpeg

svk likes this.
  14. svk

When they feel lazy they put the package in a clear plastic bag and tie it to the mailbox bank out of the main road.

rarefish383 and stihlaficionado like this.
  15. stihlaficionado

4,724 complaints & counting on www.pissedconsumer.com

16. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

30 years at UPS, we'd get fired for leaving a package at the mail box. Every number on your board has a designated Left At place. Number 1 might be LAFD, left at front door, 2 LARD, rear door, etc. A couple years ago my neighbors in WV had a package that was late, so they called. The clerk said it was signed for by a L.A. Gates. I started laughing because I knew what it meant. But the clerk kept arguing that it had been signed by a person. My neighbor tried to tell her that they lived on a big farm and their drive was over a mile long, and their last name was Yankee, and no one signed for the package. The clerk told her to call Gander Mountain and ask them to initiate a "follow up". The Gander Mountain clerk said no problem and sent out a new coat. About a year later their neighbor came over, they had dogs that helped keep the coyotes away from the sheep. The dogs had a place up on the hill where they would drag old animal carcasses. She found one of those rubberized packages with the Yankee's name on it in the bone pile. Her dogs found it and dragged it away. Since leaving the package at the gate is not a designated "LA" place, there is no number for it. So, the driver goes into signature mode and prints where he or she left it. The clerk should know that. The second Gander Mountain clerk thought the story was funny and told her to keep both coats. As soon as she said L.A. I started laughing and told her that meant Left At Gate.

svk and Philbert like this.
  17. rarefish383

Some of the ground, maybe all, I don't know, are the old RPS driver/owners. RPS was a franchise and you had to buy you business. One of my managers quit UPS and bought an RPS route. Last I heard he owned over 30 of them. They are less strict than the other branches of FedX, because they own their business. They are the ones with sleeveless t-shirts, scroungy looking. Maybe a real FedX driver can chime in. We used to tell our new drivers that one upset customer could loose the business of 100 prospective customers. The one PO'ed customer is going to tell every body he knows of his bad experience, and they will tell every one the story, maybe with some embellishments. This thread is a good example, and youtube is better, video of drivers throwing packages at security camera's because they have a signature required package, and the door bell is on the other side of a locked gate. All the FedX drivers I ran into worked hard and did their best. My only complaint was they never seemed to have the same driver on the same route two days in a row. Where our UPS driver and Mail person knew our dogs were fenced out of the front yard with the invisible fence, the FedX driver didn't. They would be afraid of the dogs and not leave a note or package. By the time I'd realize my package was late, they already sent it back. Our dogs were big and barked, so I can see where they were intimidated.
    [​IMG]

18. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

FedEx left 3 cardboard boxes on the front steps in the pouring rain, without being covered with a plastic bag. Each box has a 40# bag of dry fish food in it....... Luckily I came home shortly after they were delivered. Yes, it was raining when the boxes were dropped off, it was raining all day long. Idiots.

stihlaficionado and svk like this.
  19. rarefish383

I thought there was a "rag on" the Post Office thread, but I couldn't find it, so I'll stick it here. Friday I wanted a check delivered to one of my contractors in WV on Saturday. The clerk said next day wouldn't get there till Monday. He said regular mail would get there Monday also, just not in the morning. So, I sent it regular mail. Just tracked it, scheduled for delivery Thursday, tomorrow. Why does it take the USPS 5 days to go 125 miles? Glad I paid extra for tracking.

svk likes this.
  20. svk

And even the USPS priority services are a delivery "suggestion".

I sent a package priority and it took 5 business days to get there. I went to the PO and asked for a refund and was told that priority services are no longer guaranteed, those delivery dates are just suggested delivery dates. Such FBS.