ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Sorry USPS Shipping

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Big Red Oaks 4 me, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger Addicted to ArboristSite

The post office does a lot more than just deliver letters... and so do the route carriers.
    Think about the elderly and shut-ins who don't have computers and their only connection to the outside world is their mailman - who also, btw, is usually the first one to notice when something is wrong by the sight of uncollected mail. I see so many stories of elderly people who would have died all alone in their homes had it not been for awareness of their mailman who called for help.
    Most of these people also rely on the mailman to bring them their SS checks and their meds.

:laughing: You say, "$0.55 coast-to-coast and 3+ days to make it happen." like it's a bad thing. :laughing:
    How old are you? o_O

If you think that's bad, how about having to go to the LIBRARY, search through a wooden file cabinet card catalog for a BOOK, then have to go locate it on a SHELF in a huge BUILDING... like looking for a buried treasure!
    :D
    Ahhh, the good ol days.

SeMoTony and spyder62 like this.
  2. TNTreeHugger

Rural carrier associate, that's what we have in our post office, they sub for the regulars.
    Yes, a regular has to die or retire before there is an opportunity for a sub to get regular... but you knew that when you were hired, why did you "waste" 13 years before leaving?

We have a carrier, who also subbed for 13 years, who just got his own route when we created a new route for the office.
    Good things come to those who wait (sometimes). :)

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. dmb2613

dmb2613 ArboristSite Guru

The SS checks are direct deposit for the most part. I have filled out many a money order for a lot of older folks of whom I am fast becoming myself lol.
    There is a huge difference in rural carriers and city carriers.

SeMoTony and TNTreeHugger like this.
  4. dmb2613

The regular carrier lied to me said he would retire when he had the time in, 5 years later he was still carrying it

5. dmb2613

And A regular carrier can pull you and take the job you had ben subbing on when the reg carrier retires , at lest it used to be that way . You can not have a regular job when you sub mail

SeMoTony likes this.
  6. Mike Hunterts

Mike Hunterts "Little man"

Any tips/ tricks? No movement today again.

7. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

UPS might cost less price it.

SeMoTony likes this.
  8. TNTreeHugger

Typical. :mad:

dmb2613 likes this.
  9. TNTreeHugger

Give me the tracking number and I'll look it up at work tomorrow.

SeMoTony likes this.
  10. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

The only thing that bothered me when they cut back on the small Post Office places was the hours. I know there is no good answer, because they have to be open in the morning for the Rural Route Carriers to get their mail. But having a local post office open from 8-12 M-F and for only 2 hours on Saturday makes it hard for people that work a regular job to get to the post office on time. (zip 46531)

I think I remember the smaller post offices only being able to stay open were the ones that had more mail volume? i.e. mail that generated income shipped from that branch? If that's the case, I have another question.

Regarding all the junk mail that comes. Recently I have been getting a bunch with relatives and even my old college room mate's name on them, but at this address. If the mail is put in the box with "return to sender, person not at this address" written on it, who foots the bill for the return trip? I'm now getting around half dozen pieces of mail per week that shouldn't be coming here.

I agree, shipping an envelope or package is relatively cheap when you consider transportation costs. But on the other hand, when you have 1,000's or 10's of thousands of pieces of mail going the same way, then the price per package seems high. I know this is an extreme example but First Class envelope, 1 oz or less: Chicago to say St. Louis, Mo. 312 miles. IRS says .$0.58 per mile. So carrying 330 first class envelopes covers all vehicle expenses, right? That's 20.5 pounds. Then you have the cost of labor and benefits. Considering the carrying capacity of the trucks, the Post Office should be making a lot of $$. Yes, I know, you have initial sorting, destination sorting and then intermediary and final delivery to figure in too.

11. spyder62

spyder62 Addicted to ArboristSite

Don’t forget to consider rent on building’ s ,heating,cooling, electricity, plumbing cost, other utilities,airplanes and related costs,tractor trailers and related costs, phones , computers,fuel for all the above . Pens paper clips, snow removal.,,,,,, the list goes on and on

12. Mike Hunterts

Well, 8 full days now and no delivery or movement. My item is supposedly "in transit" to next facility. Last scan was Jan [email protected] about 40 miles away in the next town.
    I called the help number and the lady said "your item is in transit to the next destination", this was after I explained the above. All she did was take my number and read the same tracking info that I've been seeing lol
    I sure hope it shows up, I've heard that filing a claim and getting restitution is pretty much an exercise in futility.

SeMoTony, Husky Man and TNTreeHugger like this.
  13. Mike Hunterts

Update: got an alert that my item arrived at the post office IN THE CITY WHERE IT ORIGINALLY SHIPPED. Lol what the heck is going on? Very strange.
    @TNTreeHugger may have to take you up on that offer to check it out

14. TNTreeHugger

I know when one of our office hours were changed/reduced, we had a community meeting to get customer suggestions on what hours they wanted. Only a handful showed up. trust me, the USPS has reasons for everything they do.
    "Junk" mail is not returned to sender - no matter what you write on the envelope, and please don't do that. :rolleyes: Clerks and carriers endorse mail that can't be delivered, But not if it's bulk mail and has no endorsement from the mailer. if it is marked "first-class" or is endorsed, "electronic service requested" "return service requested" "change service requested" or "forwarding service requested" then the mailer pays to have the item returned, so they can, hopefully, correct the address.

Here's another example, You pay $25.50 for a piece of Express Mail to be delivered - coast to coast, or to the next town - same cost to customers.
    When I deliver an Express Mail, they pay me more to deliver it than what they charged you... not counting all the other expenses involved in shipping that item.
    I'm sure it all evens out.
    If I had to guess, I'd say the USPS is doing very well.:)

SeMoTony likes this.
  15. TNTreeHugger

I told you ;)... give me your tracking number if you want me to find your package. Send it to me in a PM if you don't want to make it public.
    But, I'm leaving for work in about 15 minutes, so make it snappy.

SeMoTony likes this.
  16. Mike Hunterts

Oh it's not missing, today it was delivered to the front porch of the sender.
    I tried calling the help line today...after navigating the insanity inducing automated menu, I was told the wait time to talk to an agent was between 37-54 minutes. The sender is out of town and said she'd be home tomorrow and try to figure out what happened.

When they screw up this bad, do they make it right or just say "sorry, we'll try again"?

SeMoTony likes this.
  17. TNTreeHugger

So, you decided to not give me the tracking number and called the "800" instead.
    Some people would rather complain than find a solution to a problem... you're not like that, are you?

GIVE ME THE TRACKING NUMBER if you want me to help you. Otherwise quit yer bitchin.

SeMoTony and dmb2613 like this.
  18. dmb2613

They don't guarantee anything in regular mail it says about 9 days I think. Overnight is the only one that it guaranteed I believe . I had a 3 day priorty package leave FL on a Monday and I got it in 9 days. Most postal employees are great The ones that are not mess up the whole system.
    But iot is still the best came in town. I remember when the Democrats went in office the post office would be in one store and when the Republicans went in it would be moved across the street lol.

SeMoTony likes this.
  19. dmb2613

I have one # in Richmond that will get results but it will really P.O. the Postmaster lol

SeMoTony likes this.
  20. Mike Hunterts

I ha
    You don't have to shout. Who's complaining? I said I was a fan. I've heard the horror stories but this is the first time I've had this type of issue. I did have a package "get lost" for a month once, but then it showed up like nothing happened. Never had one delivered to the sender after being so close.

I have no idea who you are, but appreciate your offer. Again, the package is not missing, I know exactly where it is, just strange that it was transported so close to delivery and then sat "in limbo" for many days and then sent back to original sender. The thread title is "sorry usps shipping", is it not?

I thought I was in the right place to share my experience.

SeMoTony likes this.