ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Sorry USPS Shipping

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Big Red Oaks 4 me, Jan 19, 2019.

1. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Not quite accurate. I put in 30 years at UPS. We have a service called “sure post”. We do not like it at all, but Fedex has it so we have to stay competitive. That’s the service that goes to the Post Office. It’s the cheapest service we offer. The only plus of the service is the mail man can put it in the mailbox, we can’t use the mailbox. You also have to have a sure post account, not just anybody can use it.

spyder62 likes this.
  2. TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger Addicted to ArboristSite

true.
    I also need to correct what I said in an earlier post... Priority Mail Express isn't *always* overnight. Depends on where it's shipping from and where it's going to. Can take two days.

3. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

Fellow in Indiana mailed me a saw late Wednesday. On my porch this afternoon.

FedX home delivery.

4. rarefish383

I agree, if you look at UPS, 40 people can handle your package by the time it gets there. I live in Frederick MD. If I send a package to CA it goes to our little Frederick building, gets offloaded by a person, sorted by another person, loaded on a trailer to Burtonsville, by another. Burtonsville is a major hub, that’s where I worked, we process 750 trailers a day. When the package gets to Burt it gets off loaded, sorted, and reloaded on a trailer heading west, about every 500 miles they go through hubs and get off loaded, sorted, and reloaded getting consolidated into loads going to specific areas. You are feeding a lot of families with your package.

5. rarefish383

I sent a big saw to Australia, I sent the power head USPS because it was cheaper. I sent the 52” bar UPS, because the Post Office had a 48” limit on international shipments. They both made it, not sure if they made it on the same day.

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  6. TNTreeHugger

How much did it cost?

67L36Driver likes this.
  7. TNTreeHugger

750 trailers/day - :eek:
    "You are feeding a lot of families with your package."
    I like this. I'm going to use this at work next time I hear a complaint about the price of a stamp. :D

spyder62 and rarefish383 like this.
  8. rarefish383

The last six years I worked I shifted trailers in the yard. Since we didn’t leave the yard, we didn’t have to have a CDL or DOT, and we didn’t fall under the 60 hours a week rules. Worked many 70 hour weeks and a few 80’s. When I started at UPS we were switching over from 40 and 45 foot trailers to 28 foot pups/doubles. You could put more packages in two pups than one long box. Now with 53 footers, we were doing away with the pups. Our building wasn’t made for those long trailers. I was kind of glad to leave when I did.

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  9. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

$17.05

10. TNTreeHugger

What does that mean... "shifted trailers?" Back in an empty then move it out and get another empty?
    What kind of schedule did the trucks have to keep them from piling up? Did the 750, have different arrival and departure times?

11. TNTreeHugger

Not bad.

12. sean.nickelson

sean.nickelson ArboristSite Member

TNT see what you can do with this. The package originated in Clearwater FL. Sent to me in rural central KS. Made it all the way to KCK before detouring into IA and then back to FL... Tracking #:9449009699937425712784

Cat 525 and TNTreeHugger like this.
  13. TNTreeHugger

Finally! Someone dared to ask for my assistance. :)

I have the origin zip. What is the destination zip?
    I have an idea of what possibly happened. but I'll look it up tomorrow at work, and call a few post offices if necessary.
    I'll get back to you about the same time tomorrow.

Cat 525 and spyder62 like this.
  14. sean.nickelson

Destination zip is 67124.

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  15. TNTreeHugger

Got it. I'll have you an answer tomorrow.

16. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

I had wondered if the government shutdown had affected my shipping problems "back when". It's funny that since the government re-opened, I have had NO more issues with USPS. Somehow, I am totally convinced that the problems back then WERE related. Stuff is getting to the destinations fast, now. :)

17. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver Tree Freak

Waiting on a package today from China.
    It went from Shanghai to Anchorage and back to Shanghai. From Shanghai across the Pacific for a third time to Louisville, Kentucky.

Out for delivery now in River City.

Cat 525 likes this.
  18. TNTreeHugger

I'm sorry Sean, I couldn't get any info on your package. :(

I called the facility in Jacksonville and also the one in KS... trouble is, each of those facilities has about 300 employees listed in the directory and I just never got to the right person who could help me out.
    One thing that is curious is how quickly it's moving from one place to another - media mail doesn't normally move that fast. Makes me wonder if maybe the shipper *paid* for media mail, but actually shipped it in a Priority mail box. If they paid retail, the package would most likely be RTS/postage due. But, if they paid online, say Click & Ship, they would just be charged the additional postage to their account while the package goes on it's merry way.
    Or, maybe they paid for media mail and it was inspected and doesn't qualify for media mail rates. RTS
    Or, there could be an issue with the label?
    I'll keep checking on it. I'm curious to see what happens with it. :popcorn2:

19. sean.nickelson

It definitely doesn't qualify as media mail... 12x5x8 inces and a couple lbs at about the smallest. I bought a paintball marker off of ebay. They probably picked the lowest "package" shipping listed.

If it's RTS, why did it make it to KCK(most of the way here) before making the return trip...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TNTreeHugger likes this.
  20. TNTreeHugger

Don't know where in the process a package would be inspected, or why it almost made it before being rts.
    if you go to usps.com to track the package, look below the basic info and click on "product information." he definitely shipped it media mail. .. and if I remember correctly, it was 6lbs.