Sounds like a Stihl dealer sold a new older saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My buddy moved to SC He went to buy a Husqvarna saw but had no dealers near by. He has a Stihl dealer nearby. The dealer told him that huskys are made by three different manufacturers.
He talked him into buying a Stihl chainsaw. He told me it’s hard starting all the time. It has no starting primer/bubble. He took it back to the dealer and the dealer said that’s how that model is. He also purchased a smaller trimming/limboing Stihl chainsaw. He told me the limboing saw cuts faster than the bigger saw. He didn’t tell me the model numbers. Is that true the non primer Stihl saws are harder to start?

My buddy moved to NC. He went to buy a Husqvarna saw but had no dealers near by. He has a Stihl dealer nearby. The dealer told him that huskys are made by three different manufacturers.
He talked him into buying a Stihl chainsaw. He told me it’s hard starting all the time. It has no starting primer/bubble. He took it back to the dealer and the dealer said that’s how that model is. He also purchased a smaller trimming/limboing Stihl chainsaw. He told me the limboing saw cuts faster than the bigger saw. He didn’t tell me the model numbers. Is that true the non primer Stihl saws are harder to start?
What part of NC?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

He’s talking 10+ pulls to start it. I suggested to try running it more often with non ethonal high test gas. I don’t know what else to suggest?

He’s talking 10+ pulls to start it. I suggested to try running it more often with non ethonal high test gas. I don’t know what else to suggest?
That's not normal. My Chinese 660 kit saw starts in less pulls than that and the fast idle doesn't even work on it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

My buddy moved to SC He went to buy a Husqvarna saw but had no dealers near by. He has a Stihl dealer nearby. The dealer told him that huskys are made by three different manufacturers.
Which model would really help.

Full choke, pull till is pops. Half choke (middle position), pull till it starts. Flip lever to run position and go cut.

If he pulls it again on full choke once it pops he's flooding it and he's going to have rough go about getting it running. They're very finicky about that.

Full choke, pull till is pops. Half choke (middle position), pull till it starts. Flip lever to run position and go cut.

If he pulls it again on full choke once it pops he's flooding it and he's going to have rough go about getting it running. They're very finicky about that.
Don't know about the 271, on the MS250 it's 2 (maybe 3) pulls on full choke then half choke.

I agree, they are flood prone if you pull more then one pop on full choke. If I flood one, I simply grab another saw and let the other one sit for a bit then it will usually start right up.

Well how many pulls should it take a Stihl 271 without a prime system to start. Many claim there saws start in less pulls than reality. My similar displacement MS261's which are not MTronic and don't have primers take minimum of 3 but usually 4-5 pulls cold just to fire on choke, then take a minimum of 3 but usually 3 or 4 pulls to start in fast idle position. So around 8 pull between the two start positions is IMO completely normal for these saws. Allow for H/Bill's added 'puff' he adds to his stories (2 more pulls) so his claimed 10pull starts with the fluff & puff included sounds absolutely NORMAL. A 660 starts in less, my other saws with primers cut the number down too, I've got Japanese TH's I can often start in 1 pull from cold. Warm all saws should restart straight away. Nothing to see here folks...H/B should have done a better job convincing him to buy hooskey, but he paid no attention to his advice...lol :innocent:

Back