Sourdough Begals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally cracked the code!

Deviation from the original recipe is 5.5 ounces, 1/3 less salt, and a teaspoon of Vanilla, and it is now perfect – crispy crust, chewy inside. And I got the size and shape just right, something over the last couple of years that has been my disappointment.

It has been many many years since I have had a bagel from a Bagel Shop, so I can not compare. But I can compare to what is available from the grocery stores in my area, and I Win!

I am loving the Elk or Moose Burger Bagel sandwiches.

CIMG4382 (768x1024).jpg
CIMG4383 (1024x768).jpg

I freaking love sourdough! Our family friend baked sourdough bread. Made the best grilled cheese ever!

I haven't had this kind of success with rolls. Good out of the oven, but gets stale quickly. These are NY Style bagels, and the minute of boiling seems to lock in the freshness, or so that is my theory. Even 5 days out they are still chewy inside. Perfect!

Recipes all over the internet. This success is more about process then recipe/ingredients.

My neighbors, who love bagels want me to make them bagels rather then buying them from the grocery store. It is a long process, makes a mess, and rather I offered to show them. Silence was the answer.

Shopping the other day, I picked up a bunch more toppings. Dried Onions, coarse salt, dried orange peels, roasted&salted sesame seeds, etc.

Okay! The process continues to be improved. Getting round bagels with a round hole consistently, that are not to thick, has been accomplished. After separating out the ~6oz dough pieces, let them rise for an hour, then flatten them and let them rise for another hour, then stick a finger in and spin the bagel, let rise, spin again, and let the dough rise again til the movie is over (any movie), spin again, and start the boil, continue as before.

Best bagels yet! No pictures this time.

Four, one hour rises?
Please post the recipe you use. :numberone:

The additional rises has been abandoned. No net effect. Recipes are all over the internet. It is all about process and starter maintenance. The rest is about your particular tastes.

I am about to push the envelope. And just because. The Jumbo Bagel!!!

Realistically, I'll just take a stab at it and make maybe 1/4 this size. Don't have the oven to do this, nor the hungry people to feed.

1614042289592.png

Latest posts

Back