Sourdough Begals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipes all over the internet. This success is more about process then recipe/ingredients.

My neighbors, who love bagels want me to make them bagels rather then buying them from the grocery store. It is a long process, makes a mess, and rather I offered to show them. Silence was the answer.

Shopping the other day, I picked up a bunch more toppings. Dried Onions, coarse salt, dried orange peels, roasted&salted sesame seeds, etc.
Don't blame them.
$3-4 for a sleeve of 8 at the store, makes no sense to fuss with making them!

Yesterday, I made another Jumbo Bagel and this time went for good looks as well as good tasting. Neighbors thought it was incredible, and are helping me in my locals sales of the same. We have a yearly flea market that I hope to sell enough and pay my property taxes.

This New York style Sourdough Everything Bagel, weighs in at ~25 ounces.

JumboBagel.jpg

Sold 6 Jumbo bagels already. This small adventure is getting going nicely. I can only make 2 a day every other day, and I am able to put some away in the freezer. Right now the orders are manageable, and I can deliver or have picked up fresh.

I have been working the starter diligently and regularly and the sour taste is as strong as I have ever tasted. Bagels are improving with every day. :rock:

Time to tweak the recipe for me @MontanaResident Could you give almond flour a try for me and let me know. I'm trying to stay off wheat products. Please and thank you TLG. Your bagels look as good as any New York Style I've had in the past. Even Einstein Bagels here in Pittsburgh.

Time to tweak the recipe for me @MontanaResident Could you give almond flour a try for me and let me know. I'm trying to stay off wheat products. Please and thank you TLG. Your bagels look as good as any New York Style I've had in the past. Even Einstein Bagels here in Pittsburgh.
My neighbor has problems with gluten. She is going to try my recipe with rice flour. I'm anxious to see how it comes out. She just got her starter to start to bubble/ferment. The sour flavor compared to mine might take a bit of time. My starter is going on its fifth year now.

The local grocery sells fresh made ones. 0.79 each.

Did find they get hard as a rock quick though.

The local grocery sells fresh made ones. 0.79 each.

Did find they get hard as a rock quick though.
My nearby grocery sells bagels too. They are bread shaped like bagels. Not much taste, hardly worth 79c. I have one person that likes the regular size. 6 for $10. I'm hoping after she tries the jumbo, she'll only order the jumbo, else I'm going to raise the price of the regular size.

My nearby grocery sells bagels too. They are bread shaped like bagels. Not much taste, hardly worth 79c. I have one person that likes the regular size. 6 for $10. I'm hoping after she tries the jumbo, she'll only order the jumbo, else I'm going to raise the price of the regular size.
Why can you only make 2 bagels every other day?

Why can you only make 2 bagels every other day?

It was my starter fermentation jar. I picked up another one, and now it is two a day everyday. My bottle neck now is controlling the Jumbo Bagels moisture, or the humidity in a warm environment. I may have a solution for that too. Then it is my small kitchen. When that becomes the problem, I have a success on my hands, and I'm going big -- time to rent a space in a commercial kitchen and maybe hire help.

Practice makes perfect -- Tis True!

I’ve probably made a 100 bagels in the last month, and they keep getting better and better. Taste is #1, check. #2 was getting the shape right, which was something I struggled with. I’m there. Check! And lastly #3 was the process. My baking/cooking/kitchen space is so small it was a juggling act. It has become so routine that it is quite simple – almost fun. Nah! But is no longer a chore, just something I do.

And featured is my first Bialy – with Jam and Swiss Cheese.

Here is the pictures.

CIMG4626.JPG

CIMG4628.JPG

Exactly. Supermarket bagels are just bread, and not very good bread. Best bagels I have ever eaten ate from my parents home town in CT from “Bagel King”. Not a chain, and in a part of the world famous for bagels saying they are the best means something.

it is all about the texture: outside is light shiny and crispy, over a “leathery” layer over a chewy dense inside. Flavor is slightly sweet and nutty. OMG this is making me hungry .

My son recently showed me how to make bagels (yeast raised). While they were hardly perfect, they were good. Certainly worth trying again when I have some people over for a long breakfast on the weekend ( people used to do that). Pig out on cottage bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries, fruit salad, mimosas . And home made bagels next time. Then go out for a hike.

Exactly. Supermarket bagels are just bread, and not very good bread. Best bagels I have ever eaten ate from my parents home town in CT from “Bagel King”. Not a chain, and in a part of the world famous for bagels saying they are the best means something.

it is all about the texture: outside is light shiny and crispy, over a “leathery” layer over a chewy dense inside. Flavor is slightly sweet and nutty. OMG this is making me hungry .

My son recently showed me how to make bagels (yeast raised). While they were hardly perfect, they were good. Certainly worth trying again when I have some people over for a long breakfast on the weekend ( people used to do that). Pig out on cottage bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries, fruit salad, mimosas . And home made bagels next time. Then go out for a hike.

Yup! There is a lot of steps in making bagels and that is where the bagel comes into being. Recipes are important, but if you don't do the process right, it is just bread.

J'ai enfin déchiffré le code!

L'écart par rapport à la recette originale est de 5,5 onces, 1/3 moins de sel et une cuillère à café de vanille, et il est maintenant parfait - croûte croustillante, moelleuse à l'intérieur. Et j'ai eu la taille et la forme parfaites, quelque chose au cours des deux dernières années qui a été ma déception.

Cela fait de nombreuses années que je n'ai pas mangé un bagel dans un Bagel Shop, donc je ne peux pas comparer. Mais je peux comparer à ce qui est disponible dans les épiceries de ma région, et je gagne!

J'adore les sandwichs Elk ou Moose Burger Bagel.

View attachment 771293 View attachment 771294
yummy

The new and improved Cinnamon-Raisin Bagel. Before it was just an experiment (a single) Raisin Bagel, as I didn’t even think to add cinnamon. Well it was special ordered, and I so here it is. And Dayum is it ever good!

Jumbo and Regular

CIMG4631.JPG

CIMG4632.JPG

Ok I took a crack at the sourdough bagels. Started them going last night and cooked them up this morning.
I’ll say they turned out great! Nice and soft on inside with a little crunch to the outside. Great sourdough taste. Mmm good!
cc8635ab21e6b4399c430bffa38c15e7.jpg

Thanks for getting me thinking about bagels, way better than store bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Biigg50 Be careful they are addictive. :)

For a 1st attempt they look very good. Baste with egg after the boil, and a bit longer in the oven to get the proper color and shine (425 degrees at ~20 minutes is optimal for mine). Keep innovating and they get better and better. I know mine could take the next leap in overall quality with better flour. Right now I can get a 25lb bag of flour (that's a whole lot of Bagels) for under $5 at Walmart.

Back