Southern Red Oak (Quercus falcata) care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenzen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Two years ago we had straight line winds one day and two day later a tornado, lost 6 trees and a garage. So last year the garage was rebuilt so heavy equipment was used to excavate an area to rebuild and so forth. So I have a southern red oak that was close to all the excavation, one side was covered with red clay and some compaction. So to prevent any more damage and keep the tree healthy I like to get some advice. The ph is 6.5, P pound per acre is 99, K pound per acre is 226, Ca is 4221, and Mg is 398. P & K is high, Ca and Mg is sufficient.

Two years ago we had straight line winds one day and two day later a tornado, lost 6 trees and a garage. So last year the garage was rebuilt so heavy equipment was used to excavate an area to rebuild and so forth. So I have a southern red oak that was close to all the excavation, one side was covered with red clay and some compaction. So to prevent any more damage and keep the tree healthy I like to get some advice. The ph is 6.5, P pound per acre is 99, K pound per acre is 226, Ca is 4221, and Mg is 398. P & K is high, Ca and Mg is sufficient.

Well Sorta hard to give advice without seeing pictures but I take it the tree was aclimated to the soil and was thriving before construction? Was there roots cut ripped in this excavation? Many times the cart is put ahead of the horse. Meaning prior to construction many things could prevent issues such as deep temporary mulch to prevent soil compaction or having a CA use air spade and put up a root barrier. I'm not certain how close was close pictures of the critical root zone would help, was there a grade change ?

No change in grade was done. in the pic you will see the new garage in background about 49 feet behind the tree. There is an asphalt drive way behind the tree and has been there for years. To the right of the garage you can see where the excavation ended. There had been two large pile of mostly clean red clay to the right and up from the tree. So we had a guy grade the clay to partially even out a slope to the far right of the pic. But still the bobcat did run over the area of the right of the tree within where the crown was. In 2006, I vertical mulched around the tree as the ground was compacted. So does this help?

No change in grade was done. in the pic you will see the new garage in background about 49 feet behind the tree. There is an asphalt drive way behind the tree and has been there for years. To the right of the garage you can see where the excavation ended. There had been two large pile of mostly clean red clay to the right and up from the tree. So we had a guy grade the clay to partially even out a slope to the far right of the pic. But still the bobcat did run over the area of the right of the tree within where the crown was. In 2006, I vertical mulched around the tree as the ground was compacted. So does this help?

So the skid steer was 40 foot away from the tree ? Anyway vertical mulch is fine also if you have droughts a mulch island can help if its not a wet area. I really like wood chips they slowly break down and feed the tree and conserve water adds a good breeding bed for beneficial organisms!

Last edited:
Back