SP80/81 differences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to dig up an old Post, but it has a lot of good info. I just acquired a sp81 and have 75% of the parts to build a sp80. To answer the original question the sp80 doesn't have a chain brake and a slightly smaller clutch cover. This is probably the reason for a slight weight advantage. I was shocked at how light the saw is though for its age.

I also noticed that at least my sp80 has a hi and low adjustable carb while my sp81 only has a low speed screw.

The sp80 has a 125 type spring loaded button high idle control as it has nooperator presence lever. The sp81 has the control with the operator presence lever like a later 10-10. Both had small clutch covers and are light. Both have a cast rear handle bracket where the 850 is stamped steel.

My sp81 doesn't have an OPL. It has the spring loaded button underneath handle like you mentioned on sp80. I think this is how early sp81 was.

Yes both have short clutch covers as in it doesn't extend to cover muffler. However my sp80 cover is slightly smaller over the clutch due to the lack of chain brake assembly.

Back