Spalted Maple wood question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently milled some old maple logs into thick slabs for re sawing that have some spalting in the grain for a future wood working project . I am going to let them air dry outside to see if any big defects so up. I do have then stickered and covered in the usual way with the first top cut.

The question is will the spalted look still be in the wood after it dries or does it fade away with time after the wood is cut for the first time ? I know the wood will turn gray some as it ages on the top layer because it is outside but if that layer is removed by planing and sanding will the spalted look still be visible in the grain ?

Once that wood is stained from the disease causing the spalting, in my experience it’s there for good. Wood is inherently chasing but that staining usually stays.

I have some birch that had spalting and it’s been in my garage for nearly two years and it has not gone away.

Character may change slightly but it’s there for good in my experience.

I cut several live edge slabs and leave them in log form for months to get spalting. It will stay in the slabs. But if you put maple or most any white wood under fans to dry quickly it retains a lighter color.

Make sure you use a good dust mask when sanding spalted woods. Spalting is caused by fungi that can stay dormant for years. I've read where guys din't worry about it. I'm not big on breathing any fine wood dust. A friends brother was a master cabinet maker and died of a severe lung infection. The doctors told him it was caused from breathing the wood dust. From the time of the first symptoms till he was dead was only a couple months.

Back