Spanish Speaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent idea, Darin. Although I don't have any Spanish-speaking employees, I sometimes have to deal with a customer or neighbor who speaks only Spanish. It would be very helpful for me to learn just a few key words and phrases rather than relying on hand gestures and pointing.

Im sorry but im just a okie making a living hear in So. Cal. But I refuse to speak spanish 0r mexian. I have been to Fl. & ate Cuban sandwitches, but its not the same as tacos.Alls I know if you were to wave the American flag in some parts of So. Cal. you would be shot & killed.You good folks in Canada & parts unknown donk know what its like hear in So. Cal.

S Cal. can't be as bad as south Florida. Americans need a passport to travel down there. Kinda reminds me how blacks must have felt traveling through Kentucky or North Carolina 50 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Spanish, but last I checked this was still America and the official language here for the last 200 years has been English. But the Cubans make one helluva sandwich though! :p

Ah people who don't study history... The "Official" englich language was only forced upon us around the first world war. Many comunites used there own parent toung, weather it was spanish, french or here in Milwaukee, halb deutch.

What do you call a person who speaks three or more languages? polylingual

What do you call a person who speaks two languages? bilingual

What do you call a person who speaks on language?
An American!

I want to be bilingual, and my new son will be educated in french immersion. Where I live, we have 26% french speaking (mother tongue) people, and the ratio is even higher in the industry that I am in - forestry and logging.

Last fall, I had the privialage of working far up north, and I spent 10 weeks 40 miles in the bush with two fellows from Quebec who spoke not one word of English. Me, I spoke very little french.

We hung out in the evenings in the trailer and yacked back and forth, him trying englishizing his french, me trying to get my ideas across in frenglish. It worked great - though we each tended to use our arms too much to describe things. Good fellas they were.

The other guys I worked with were Cree - I completely struck out there when they fired up their native tongue.

Back