Spare the air days ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who let you out of the "political" forum? Go away, please....:chainsaw:
I have not replied,nor have a put a sticky on any of your comments....I have left you totally alone..and if you are a leftist,,cause it seems to prick your skin,,tough!!!! you ARENT, the boss,,,tho most leftists want to run conservatives lives...also,,ive always been,,in more than that forum,,miss pseudo boss.. tho its any of your business...your chainsaw sticky,,is like most leftists,,,they are angered by anything they disagree with...

5 spare the air days in a row. I got a new neighbor next door that I haven't had time to figure out if they'll be a snitch or not? Maybe I will give them some firewood for free to try and win them over. I am going to try and burn my pallets tonight and see if I can keep emission down to a minimum or at least until darkness hits where a little smoke may not send of alarm bells. It's been damn near 25 degrees at night so the heater has been blastin' but it's inefficient and I fear the Electric bill will be around $300 this month at least.Miss the fires at night even after just 5 days

New York gets taxed to death....oh yeah so does california. You are right California is crappy in many ways.

Dumb Question here, What happens if your power goes out and you need the heat? Will they still fine you for burning in a "survival situation"? I just can't believe that this is what has become of politics in general. We have local government telling us how and when we can stay warm in our own houses. Something is seriously wrong with this.

Dumb Question here, What happens if your power goes out and you need the heat? Will they still fine you for burning in a "survival situation"? I just can't believe that this is what has become of politics in general. We have local government telling us how and when we can stay warm in our own houses. Something is seriously wrong with this.
guess whos in power,,in MOST gov????? of which political persuasion??? yeah..

guess whos in power,,in MOST gov????? of which political persuasion??? yeah..
I guess therein lies the answer! It just boggles my mind that people contually allow this sort of thing to happen. I will say this, If I lived in a part of the country that decided to tell me what days of the week I can stay warm, I would probably pack it up and leave. They are supposed to work "For the people", not against them.

Read please. I believe the rules read that if the wood heat is your only source of heat, it is OK to burn. Let me see, power outage, furnace no worky, hmmm only got woodstove, must be only source of heat. Of course, the power going off IS the fault of the government. They MADE that car crash into the power pole.:p

I live in Santa Cruz County which is considered a "rural" county by the state. We are just "over the hill" from Santa Clara County aka Silicon Valley which is densely populated. Santa Cruz is really a bedroom community. Most drive over the mountain to work in Santa Clara County.

When I lived in the city of Santa Cruz I heated with firewood for 10 years. Santa Clara County has Spare the Air days complete with fines. Santa Cruz did not, mostly because the ocean breeze keeps the air clean by blowing all of our pollution over the Santa Clara County.

We moved to a small town called Felton about 7 miles up the mountain from Santa Cruz this past August. Felton is in the San Lorenzo Valley which is a small north-south valley. We get more rain, colder winters and hotter summers than Santa Cruz. We are also more remote and many more people burn wood for heat than in Santa Cruz. We have our own local paper and this fall there was an article that suggested voluntary Spare the Air days for San Lorenzo Valley. The smoke lays in the valley when the weather is right and they want to get people to self-regulate it. IMHO this is the first step toward mandatory Spare the Air days complete with fines which I am not happy about at all. The article did say that if all the pre-EPA stoves were replaced and everyone burned seasoned wood this could be avoided.

Burning wood is more than a way to save money for me; it is a way of life. I am very concerned that restrictions will be put in place that will prevent me from heating my house the way I choose.

There's a handful of days throughout the year that we're not allowed to have any fires. There's a website you're supposed to check out before you light your fire that tells you if you can be warm that day or not. It's a bunch of bureaucratic BS that most people ignore. The chances of getting caught by the chimney police are slim to none...most people that get fined were turned in by their neighbor that they wouldn't let borrow their lawnmower 5 years ago and still hold a grudge.

a handful of days throughout the yearwould be okay but now we are on 10 or 11 days straight with no burning. I like conserving my woodpile but not on the coldest days. Total BS

a handful of days throughout the yearwould be okay but now we are on 10 or 11 days straight with no burning. I like conserving my woodpile but not on the coldest days. Total BS

Well, you technically do have a solution, lose whichever other heating you have, uninstall it, sell it. then wood is your only heat source, you can burn!

If you really really really need some sort of backup, there are always those cheap plug in the wall little electric heaters, or like a kerosene heater.

So could you burn late at night? Could you sneak by with a clean epa stove where you just see only heat coming out the stack?

Living in an area that consistently ranks for worst winter time air quality in the nation... It's unfortunate to see the development continuing at a break-neck pace. They just ban all wood burning stoves in 3 counties here in Utah. The people who have been wood burners for years are now left without an economical way to heat there homes. The old timers burning wood is not the problem, the out of control development by people who can afford other means of heat but still drive cars and indirectly contribute to as much or more of the smog are the problem.

Tons of rich folks pouring into Utah for the "vibrant economy" come here and then complain about the air quality. They take a holier-than-thou attitude towards the long time residents and act like they aren't a part of the problem. No one will accept what the real problem is as long as there is a scapegoat. In this case, wood burners. As long as the "economy" is turning money and making people rich, the real problem will go unchecked. The almighty dollar wins again...

Back