ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Speaking of winter.........

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
The thing I really like about the ones I have, is that you can move them around to the area(s) you are working in. I have a three-car garage, although cars don't get parked in it. It's more of a man-cave / work shop.

Our house is 2x6 construction and the exterior walls are stucco and well insulated, as well as our two garage doors.

I thought about installing a permanent type natural gas, forced air heater, in our garage, but it would be expensive. That, and the fact, our winters here aren't all that brutal. Jan. and Feb. are the worst (coldest) months. So far, we've had a relatively easy winter.

I'm pretty warm blooded and it has to be pretty chilly in the garage before I fire up a propane heater. But, if it is cold enough, I have the resources to change that. ;)

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
Propane torpedo heater for getting it warmer faster, but also a rocket stove which doesn't do much good when it's really cold. No insulation in the ceiling. I really need to put some in there.

I had an antique parlor stove, but that eventually fell apart. I'll probably go back to a decent wood stove again. The rocket stove was a fun experiment, but not worth it for the shop which needs a lot of heat quickly, rather than a little heat for a long time.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

Propane torpedo heater for getting it warmer faster, but also a rocket stove which doesn't do much good when it's really cold. No insulation in the ceiling. I really need to put some in there.

I had an antique parlor stove, but that eventually fell apart. I'll probably go back to a decent wood stove again. The rocket stove was a fun experiment, but not worth it for the shop which needs a lot of heat quickly, rather than a little heat for a long time.
I just recently purchased the torpedo propane heater. All I've done with it so far, is to fire it up and made sure it functioned properly and get acquainted with it and how it functions.

Been thinking about one for a while now, and I found it online for a very good price.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
My basement is my shop. It isn't connected to the central air/heat, but it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Unfortunately, my garage is so full of crap that I have work on the vehicles outside. I just put a 6-speed in my wife's Pontiac Vibe...I was running out of time on the 30-day return window from the wrecker, so I had to deal with lying on the ground for a few days in between rains when it was in the 30s and 40s. Never mind heat...I'd have been happy with dry!

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

I have to be on-guard to keep my wife from storing her crap / junk in MY garage. Right now, we are in the middle of remodeling our master bathroom, so there's stuff in my garage. But, as we make progress, the stuff is slowly dwindling away.

HadleyPA

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Those things have snuffed out a few people in their day, CO poisoning
Yep. And so have woodstoves and gas furnaces and fireplaces and electric space heaters and fuel oil furnaces and candles. Moral of the story, if it makes heat it can kill you, so don't be a dumb×ss. But really, why does there always have to be a Debbie Downer!

les-or-more

les-or-more

I was here but now im gone!
Yep. And so have woodstoves and gas furnaces and fireplaces and electric space heaters and fuel oil furnaces and candles. Moral of the story, if it makes heat it can kill you, so don't be a dumb×ss. But really, why does there always have to be a Debbie Downer!
The world is full of Karens!

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
No picture but I put an old pellet stove on a moving cart and wheel it over to the overhead steel door . I used a hole saw cut a peep hole with a flap like they used to do at garages for exhaust . Stick the pipe threw the door and fire it up. Heats well no fumes and I just turn it off it cycles till it's cool and I put it away

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

Those things have snuffed out a few people in their day, CO poisoning

I'm well aware of the downside to them. I'm much more worried about getting into my car, or on my m/c and getting hit by an idiot who wasn't paying attention to driving and was on their "smartphone".

BTW......I've been using a propane heater of some sort in my garages for over four (4) decades. The secret is, you gotta be smarter than the tool you are using. ;)

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
I have to be on-guard to keep my wife from storing her crap / junk in MY garage. Right now, we are in the middle of remodeling our master bathroom, so there's stuff in my garage. But, as we make progress, the stuff is slowly dwindling away.

A friend of mine just moved to the west coast, and gave me his 13' Carolina skiff and a motorcycle...I managed to get it all stuffed in a few weeks ago, in between rains, but I have some serious organizing to do!

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
I Have ever never seen people stupid enough to put unflued wood stoves, gas furnaces & fireplaces in a house or room, but they will put an unflued gas heater in there.