Special bent trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
have you ever seen bent trees that are “L” shaped just above the ground? I did see one on my land in vt. Thinking nothing about it I have another one here it’s near the road. I read there old fashioned trail markers and sometimes were water is nearby. Both my trees have running spring water. My road here is an old stage coach run. There’s a house that was an Inn that was the overnight layover. My older neighbor had a lot of history about my area. Ever see these trees?

Is it true, is it real or not.?

have you ever seen bent trees that are “L” shaped just above the ground? I did see one on my land in vt. Thinking nothing about it I have another one here it’s near the road. I read there old fashioned trail markers and sometimes were water is nearby. Both my trees have running spring water. My road here is an old stage coach run. There’s a house that was an Inn that was the overnight layover. My older neighbor had a lot of history about my area. Ever see these trees?

They can be markers.

I was going to cut the one I have at home but the history of this tree being a trail marker with water nearby I let it live. In cutting firewood after the state arborist went through marking what to cut we took out trees with defects, rotten holes, broken limbs, isores. I thought my tree was an I sore until I researched this.

Don’t cut these trees there living Native American history/ our history too. I’m sure these were trail markers for the early settlers.

They can also be used to mark property boundaries in the days before modern surveying. They may also be mentioned in property deeds.

Not all that uncommon here. Heavy snow can bend them over, and sometimes they don't stand back up all that straight, when the snow finally gets off them.

Right not all that uncommon in the north. This past spring I saw one of these trees that was only 4" in diameter. The patch of woods behind house I grew up in had a patch of these trees. They were all less than 12" in diameter.

We don't have snow here

Steve Sidwell

Your missing out on hearing the snow hitting the ground in the forest. Of course when your deeper in the forest where your away from other noises.

There’s also getting in the Christmas spirit when cutting trees before Christmas in the snow too.

I just go out to the barn, drag the bag in up pops a tree. Preacher asked my wife one year when do we take our tree down. I replied I like looking at it. That was in February. Too much work goes into it just for a short time so I like leaving it out for awhile, plus the grandkids like it too.

Steve Sidwell

Be careful looking for them. Many believe those bent trees are actually handicap hand rails at Bigfoot toilet sites.
If Big Foot was around here, he'd be mounted on the wall already. Foot mount or a head mount, that would be the question. What do you put out for bait?

Steve Sidwell

Bf is around we don’t see him. Strange things happen in the dark. A trail cam will tell you what’s going on. I have coyotes coming through my land every 45 minutes they make there rounds from the water shed to the bottom land. I have foxes, raccoons, bobcats, we’d never see if we didn’t have the trail cams. The bear comes through when ever he wants.

My mom has a Christmas tree all decorated in a box, she would take it out and leave it up till a Christmas in January I think it’s little Christmas or Russian Christmas.?

Latest posts

Back