"special deals" and a new company policy!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Gotta place a halt to this sort of activity!

I got one guy who is a friend of one of the yard monkeys. This guy wants to buy wood in log form in the yard. Oh? Okay, maybe there is a way to do this. so we measure out about a cord of logs and this fella is gonna cut them up here and haul them outta here.
I am gonna allow this, but this time only. Can't encourage other people processing their firewood on my lot. How about someone who is processing wood out here and the next thing I find out is that they are selling it!!!! WTF??

Next one was another friend of the yard monkey who actually has worked for me a few days here and there. he wants a cord of wood, and how much if he does all the labor?? I gotta toss in the use of a saw, and the splitter, and my truck... "what sort of operation am I running out here anyway?? Try that one at Wendy's.... "I wanna burger and fries, but I will cook it myself. Can I get a special price?"
I can't make this stuff up.

so... I will make new Company Policy!
I don't need the conflict of interest going on here. I will sell blocks, splits, Bundles, and the occasional log.I don't need half the county out here "cutting a deal" to get reduced price wood. Cause they can do the labor here (and sue me for hurting themselves). Next thing I would hear is "can I borrow your splitter??" "My truck won't start, can I borrow yours??"

Am I flippin' out a little too much here? :bang:

You should bring up the insurance aspect of it and let them know that they can do this type of activity only if they are an employee.

Oh, and you will pay them with the wood they want after a full day's work.

On a serious note, no you aren't being unfair at all, unless they are offering to maintain your equipment, or clean up around the place or other ways of "scratching your back". A business and 'friends and family' deals can often turn sour quickly.

Would you cut, split, and deliver 10 cords to MI. Also since I am willing to buy in bulk could you stack the wood and feed my stove every 12 hours?

BTW my income is broken so you should do everything previously mentioned for $1 per cord. I would love to help with labor, gas money, vehicle insurance, etc but im not going to 'cause, Im lazy......

See it could always be worse..

Be careful who you let onto your "woodlot". Never let anyone run 1 single piece of equipment on your "woodlot" that isn't insured by you or your firewood company...

Pat,
Your company, your wood, your rules. Period!!
Firewood isn't worth as much here, but in order to get a discount from A&E Enterprises (me :hmm3grin2orange:) you have to qualify for a wholesale account. In order to qualify you must purchase a minimum of 10 cords, the price is $100 per cord for mixed conifer cut to 16" lengths and split. Bring help to load it because I only load my own trucks. Minimum order for rounds is 10 cords also. I will sell rounds of mixed conifer, cut to 16" lengths for $100 per cord. Bring help to load it because I only load my own trucks. Minimum order for tree length logs is 10 cords also. I will sell tree length mixed conifer logs for (you guessed it) $100 per cord. Ok, at that rate I will load your trailer with my loader, you can leave your help at home.
Sometimes I do negotiate firewood as part of someones pay.

Andy

I don't think you are being unreasonable.

Personally, I wouldn't let them process it there. If you want to sell them log lengths or 6ft length, that's fine, but they need to haul it off site. Too much liability if they are doing personal cutting on your property.

My 2 cents

I didn't think I was flippn' too bad

I is gonna start formatting it tonight, and print this out.

Andy, you have no imagination. $100 a cord, 10 cord minimum, blocks, splits or logs. On my "flow chart" I got a line that goes:
Your truck ➜ You load ➜ cubic foot of truck ➜ stacked? or tossed? then I got prices based upon splits or rounds.
90¢ splits or 70¢ blocks, stacked. loose tossed is 75¢ splits and 60¢ blocks.

Then there is a whole 'nuther flow for measured special sizes delivered or picked up.

What I gotta create next is a flow line on my Pinon!! worth a bunch more up here. Somewhere along the way I gotta create a way to price logs... probably measured by the cubic foot and sold that way...

Thanks for the feedback.

Keep it sharp!

Harder to stop this problem than it would have been to never let it start. of course that is 20-20 hindsight now.
Just shut it down. You don't owe anyone an explanation, but if you feel you want to offer one, just say you just had a review of your insurance policy and pricing, and your agent made it very clear you cannot allow non-employees to operate any equipment.

I gotta agree with others AND you that is not a good idea to let that continue. Having people walk around your property can only lead to problems.

Want a good one? We allowed a guy to hunt on our property and within 1 month HE gave permission to his friends that they could too. He wasn't with them, he just said it was okay since he had exclusive rights. One Saturday we went to saw wood and a group of hunters came up and asked what we thought we we're doing. They said they had permission to hunt and they had driven 60 miles to do so and we should leave. After informing them that WE OWNED the property I told them to leave and to tell their permission giver he was not welcome anymore either. Between the trash and shot up buildings and trees we've given up which is sad for the few good ones out there.

Helping friends and family is one thing but this is a little too risky for me in this day and age.

With a little tweaking, maybe you could start a new branch (no pun intended) for your business. I know how the moochers are, but if firewood is scarce in your area and people are needing wood, you may be able to turn this headache into some ez profit.

Not saying it will work, but maybe worth a few calls and re-thinking. Just trying to think outside the box, just like my old ladies' cat when he craps:angry:

Back