Special motor? for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Wayne

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My splitter motor is getting tired and when it quits for good I will get a predator to replace it. I have been told by some folks it takes a motor made for a splitter, something about a special flywheel or the motor wont last! Logic tells me this is bogus. I did some searching on here and see several threads about replacing motors with predators and pressure washer motors ect. some are 10 year old threads. How have the motors held up? Is there any truth to the claim of needing a motor made for a splitter.
Thanks in advance.
David

No special motor needed. The predators are great motors and a no brainer especially if you don’t run your splitter all day every day. I had to cut the shaft on mine in order to get the spacing right but I know other people who just swap over everything and are running in a half hour.

If your splitter is the basic 2 stage hydraulic pump based unit that is very common, nothing is special about the motor. You don't even have to worry about vertical or horizontal shafts because the pump doesn't matter. If the motor has the same rotation, the same size and style of shaft, the same mounting hole spacing, and the same or more power, it is an hour bolt on job.
You can get fancy with changing the mount location and routing exhaust for a better fit, but the biggest problem you may find is if your shaft isn't the same, or the mount doesn't match, you will need a different coupling.

I have a 20ton splitter that had a 5hp Briggs motor, it went out recently. Replaced it with a 6.5hp predator from Harbor freight. Did have to drill 2 new holes on the splitter frame and had to cut the shaft a little shorter to make the coupler line up right. Been less than a year but no issues yet. Before the motor would bog down in tough pieces but not now.

Horizontal shaft motors are much different than vertical shaft motors. Vertical shaft moors do not have flywheels so they need to be added to operate properly. Any one can change vertical to horizontal or horizontal to vertical, but with a little effort. Most clone engines or Honda engines can last many years of heavy use if they are maintained. Most Briggs and Tecumseh were prone to run low on oil until they stuck the rod through the side. Many engines have low oil pressure shut offs which is a very good thing. Thanks

Horizontal shaft motors are much different than vertical shaft motors. Vertical shaft moors do not have flywheels so they need to be added to operate properly. Any one can change vertical to horizontal or horizontal to vertical, but with a little effort. Most clone engines or Honda engines can last many years of heavy use if they are maintained. Most Briggs and Tecumseh were prone to run low on oil until they stuck the rod through the side. Many engines have low oil pressure shut offs which is a very good thing. Thanks

The problem with changing vertical shaft engines is that the mounting pattern varies and the pumps are not connected directly to the engine. This makes pump alignment difficult but it can be done with patience.
Horizontal shaft engines for many years have factory machined standardized pump adaptor mounting surfaces.

Yes you are correct many vertical motor do not have flywheels. So if you want a well oiled machine to need to add it the crank. Vertical shaft motors will often have a rotating blade that acts like a flywheel. I like using horizontal set ups because they can be more compact, but they all work. Thanks

In the motocross world many race motors have the flywheel machined down to reduce weight, but it comes at a cost of torque. The lighter the flywheel the les low end torque you will have. I doubt it would have any effect on a splitter.

some lawn mowers, like some sarlos for example have a large round weight that bolts to end of crankshaft over belt pulley and use a non weighted flywheel engine-the only ones i have ever seen are vertical engines.
ive got to believe that universal purpose engines such as harbor freight horizontal engines have weighted flywheel.

weight on crank shaft same purpose- still a flywheel of a type- storing energy from the power stroke to be used on non powered stroke. Ok, so a 2 cylinder or more 4 stroke ICE might not have a fly wheel in the conventional sense of a single cylinder 4 stroke engine. Sequential or apposed firing would eliminate the need. Just a ring gear somewhere to enable electric starting. Thinking back, some aircraft engines used explosive charges to get things going so no ring gear either for starting purposes, but I do not know if those were 2 stroke or 4 stroke ( old age can't remember) ain't no expert on the fine points of engines.

In the motocross world many race motors have the flywheel machined down to reduce weight, but it comes at a cost of torque. The lighter the flywheel the les low end torque you will have. I doubt it would have any effect on a splitter.

Not quite exact in the Motocross world. MX bikes for most part have extra weight available for bikes that are too abrupt with power delivery thus they loose traction. With added weight to the flywheel the power delivery can be smoothed out a bit for better traction such as leaving a corner. Flywheels do not have an effect on torque other than if there is not enough flywheel the engine will not start. Thanks

Mine is vertical, So are you saying I cant put just any motor on it?

Or in other words VERTICAL engines that are not used for lawn mowers need some extra flywheel to keep them running smooth. HORIZONTAL engines do not need extra flywheel because they are not often used for lawn mowers. The blade on a lawn mower is the flywheel. Thanks

Not quite exact in the Motocross world. MX bikes for most part have extra weight available for bikes that are too abrupt with power delivery thus they loose traction. With added weight to the flywheel the power delivery can be smoothed out a bit for better traction such as leaving a corner. Flywheels do not have an effect on torque other than if there is not enough flywheel the engine will not start. Thanks

You are correct, I just didn't enplane it right. My bad.:)

Back