Species??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Hop Hornbeam is the species I refer to as ironwood. (Ironwood means different things in different places in the world.) In NY near Canada where I cut it, ironwood grows up to maybe 16" in diameter. But in general it's a small tree--I think 50' tall would be a monster. In the NY woods I know it is very much known as a weed tree, in other words it displaces the valuable species like sugar maple, the oaks, etc. But, in that country (like E. Ontario) it's a valuable fuel wood. Cut all you have for firewood, and to give room for other species.

What does it look like to you?
The bark on this particular tree looks like a tree at the local ice cream emporium. Locally we have sugar maples, silver maples and red maples , this tree is different but definitely a maple. I know it is a maple but assume it is some kind of non-native.

So I got back on here thinking to add a comment about your two woods, and found lots of comment since. What I had in mind is that the tree on the right--oozing moisture--is likely not what you want for good firewood. Most trees with that much water in them . . . are mostly water. Burnable when dry, but will probably loose half its weight when dry, making it a poor to mediocre fuel, at the softer end of hardwood species.

Red maple (soft maple) was one of my first thoughts, but the bark is odd, almost resembles black cherry. But bark can fool you sometimes. Regional differences, even local differences, can change it.

I can take more pictures
So I got back on here thinking to add a comment about your two woods, and found lots of comment since. What I had in mind is that the tree on the right--oozing moisture--is likely not what you want for good firewood. Most trees with that much water in them . . . are mostly water. Burnable when dry, but will probably loose half its weight when dry, making it a poor to mediocre fuel, at the softer end of hardwood species.

Red maple (soft maple) was one of my first thoughts, but the bark is odd, almost resembles black cherry. But bark can fool you sometimes. Regional differences, even local differences, can change it.
interesting point you bring up in regards to the amount of moisture that is in them. both pieces i have shown split completely different. the one on the left splits dry inside no matter what the size. and as you can see a much lighter color. as for the one on the right sometimes you can split it and it looks almost punky inside like its rotten. now mind you after a little while it looks normal. but this leads me to believe your thought about the wood losing half its weight when it is dry. ill throw it in with the other mixed hardwoods in my load. i cut a truck and trailer load of logs every year. however i have the space now to separate the species up when splitting. so my place was to keep the ironwood and oak by itself to ensure it is dry when called upon.

Back