Spiral Splitting Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Ole Wood Chopper
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used spiral or twisted splitting wedges to quarter large rounds? I've used the traditional straight wedges for years and wondered if the spiral wedges worked any better.They seem to be more popular in Europe. At $39.50 each I was hoping they would split the round without me and the sledge hammer being involved. Spiral Splitting Wedge - Lee Valley Tools

Last edited:
I've never seen one before. It will be interesting to hear how they work if anyone has tried one.

Has anyone used spiral splitting wedges to quarter large rounds? I've used the traditional straight wedges for years and wondered if the spiral wedges worked any better.They seem to be more popular in Europe. At $39.50 each I was hoping they would split the round without me and the sledge hammer being involved. Spiral Splitting Wedge - Lee Valley Tools

I bought one a couple of years ago, but after a couple of uses it tends to be left in the shed with the other wedges. They do work ,but in my opinion not any better than a straight wedge. I just tend to cut into big rounds with the saw and then they split easy enough with a fiskars axe. Just my opinion.
geoff.

:cheers:

I just split some red oak 24 inch dia. X 24 inch long rounds by noodling just far enough to apply a wedge, then making the initial split with the wedge and a 3lb hand sledge hammer.Works great and you dont expend a lot of needless energy.Dont forget to grind off the mushrooming wedge area so you arent shooting shrapnel at yourself.The rest of the wood splits easy enough with the X27 once the round has that first split created.

I like these wedges. Best one I've used yet. Granted, I have limited experience in using them. I'm with Geoff, I usually just noodle them down then split with the Fiskars.

Latest posts

Back