Split size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So how small do you split your fire wood? A 8 inch round will fit in the door of my England 28-3500 so i tend not to even bother splitting them. I do tend to work some down to about 4 inch tringles or squares to fill it up at night and if I want a untended all day fire.

:D Al

I do the same as you. 8" or smaller just pitch it in. Whatever is easy to lift and throw into OWB's opening. Wife does complain if I am not home and she has to fill it "why can't you just split it smaller".

We have a variety of sizes, I try to make a good supply of RR Tie size splits for overnight burning.

Neither the Wife or I care for full round pieces, so anything over 4-5" gets halved.

Just don't care to have wood rolling out of the stove, fire is more stable and easier to maintain with flatter pieces

I have never used an OWB, sounds like you pretty much just toss anything in, OWB's aren't very common in my area

Doug :cheers:

Full furnace for the day fire.
qOYYGso.jpg

:D Al

We have a variety of sizes, I try to make a good supply of RR Tie size splits for overnight burning.

Neither the Wife or I care for full round pieces, so anything over 4-5" gets halved.

Just don't care to have wood rolling out of the stove, fire is more stable and easier to maintain with flatter pieces

I have never used an OWB, sounds like you pretty much just toss anything in, OWB's aren't very common in my area

Glad I read your post twice Doug. I misread and thought you said you just cut up railroad ties and burn them.:crazy2: must be the 92* temps here today.:givebeer: :cheers:

I cut limbwood down to about 3" diameter. I set those limbs aside and cut them to 36" long for my outdoor boiler. 5" stuff gets cut to 16" long and split in half and gets sold for firewood. People don't like "limbwood" so I split every piece that I sell no matter how small the round is. Now that I have a processor everything from 5 to about 12" gets run thru the processor to 16" and gets split at least in half. I tend to split everything small as I have a 6 way head on it but I do some 10" round in half for over night blocks. Anything above 12" either goes to be cut into 32" long rounds for my owb ( split either 4 or 6 ways) anything decent gets set in another pile for my bandmill that I seldom use. 1st pic is my Grandson running the processor cutting 16" long splits. 2nd picture is the splits and you can see bandmill logs on the left side of the picture. 3rd pic is my big conveyor and 32" long splits for the OWB. You can see the 5 to 12" logs in the right side behind the log wagons. My processing area is surrounded by our motocross track. 2nd picture shows the observation tower ( scaffold wagon and platform) to keep the little kids out of harms way while the bikes are running. 20190818_193048.jpg 20190814_195822.jpg 20190321_155449.jpg

Glad I read your post twice Doug. I misread and thought you said you just cut up railroad ties and burn them.:crazy2: must be the 92* temps here today.:givebeer: :cheers:

Well Steve, that worked for AWHILE, but for some reason the neighbors were giving me Really Dirty Looks, and occasionally threw rotten vegetables at me:confused:

That and the Railroad Police showing up at my door was getting a bit old,:eek: but the SIZE, sure worked really well, so now I just keep a couple of hunks of RR Tie around for size comparison purposes;), but I will on occasion, sneak a piece of RR Tie into the stove, just for the Aromatic Pleasure:):):)

Nothing heats a house on the cheap, like used RR Ties, and hunks of Old Tires, those dayum things will burn all night long;)

I had a few chunks of landscape timbers that was in my burn pile pf wood. A sudden plume of smoke erupted and then went away. A few days later county code enforcement shows up. No matter what I said did not matter as I was going to be fined and serve jail time if if. The air Board will make life miserable if they do not like you. Some times I get California Pepper which is great wood, but it stinks worse than anything.

I like my chunks about 8 or 10'' X 20'' for an all night fire. The rest of the time I just burn misc. chunks that I do not sell. Thanks

Well Steve, that worked for AWHILE, but for some reason the neighbors were giving me Really Dirty Looks, and occasionally threw rotten vegetables at me:confused:

That and the Railroad Police showing up at my door was getting a bit old,:eek: but the SIZE, sure worked really well, so now I just keep a couple of hunks of RR Tie around for size comparison purposes;), but I will on occasion, sneak a piece of RR Tie into the stove, just for the Aromatic Pleasure:):):)

Nothing heats a house on the cheap, like used RR Ties, and hunks of Old Tires, those dayum things will burn all night long;)

The RR ties burn nice. Heated the shop a while with scraps and junk ones.

My splits are kept to about 6" on the largest side. If they are 6" on the largest side they are typically 3" thick. This ensures they dry well. My Froling boiler calls for 4" on the largest side I believe.

Latest posts

Back