Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four-way wedge design:
The first photo shows a pretty standard design. The splits end up one of three places... stuck on or under the wedge, on the out feed table, or on the ground.
The second and third photo show a modification, a shelf design. The splits do get trapped below the four-way, but can be un-trapped by raising the four-way after splitting and the pieces pulled forward with a pulp hook to re-split if need be. The splits above the four-way are within reach of the operator without the operator having to move to the out feed table to retrieve huge splits. The lower split can be re-split on the single wedge while the two top split remain where they are, sitting nicely on top of the four-way, or the two top splits can be slid to the beam and log lift with a pulp hook and re-split with the four-way. It becomes very rhythmic and efficient without extra foot steps back and forth or lifting/carrying.
Almost every name brand splitter uses the narrow wing four-way design. I'm just not sure why...

IMG_1385.jpgIMG_1463.jpgIMG_1518.jpg

Almost every name brand splitter uses the narrow wing four-way design. I'm just not sure why...
So I've seen this on another splitter that with a wide 4 way, the OP had pieces that would pop or jump up when the wood cracked under the pressure. They shortened the width of the 4 way (I don't remember how much, I think 2" per side) and they didn't have any problems after that. On some splitters, where the 4 way is on a post (not like the TW in your pic, where it's on the main wedge) the wider it is, the more pressure the post has to withstand, and cause cause issues with twisting, therefore leading to breaking.

Also I get a few pieces once in a while stuck under my 4 way, but it's not that often. My 4 way wedge bevel is only one way though, up. If your bevel goes both ways, it splits in one spot and then pushes it down, hence why you get pieces stuck under the 4 way. That can be remedied in beam/table design, but doesn't do you any good if you already have the product.

Log lift side cylinder mount complete. Changed to a 10" cylinder. 20171221_105532.jpg 20171221_105612.jpg The following pic shows the lift as far as a 10" cylinder will take it.
20171221_105839.jpg
Question for you all... how wide is the foot piece on your guys log lifts? I'm thinking 14-15" should easily allow me to get a 30-32" round on it. Any more than that, I won't be rolling it around by hand anyway... 20171221_132145.jpg

The "backstop" is generally referred to as a cradle. it all looks good. you do nice work. on the log lift I'd probably go 16-18" on the foot to allow for uneven pieces or limbs that weren't trimmed off completely. big crotches are also awkward to get on a shorter lift foot. the longer the better in my opinion. if you're doing smaller rounds the lift works well for a staging area. just pile up a bunch on the lift and split away. usually i start with the lift down a bit so it makes a nice V shape and fill it as full as i can keep them on there. start splitting then lift it to roll the bottom ones closer as necessary while splitting. a longer foot means less trips around the splitter

Haven't made any progress lately. Been to busy being lazy, and playing with the kids after Christmas. I did however cut some wood today and had to pull the old splitter inside to get it to start. It looks puny compared to what I'm building...
20171228_144937.jpg
I found 1/2" thick HDPE plastic sheet to use for the deck of the out feed table.
20171228_145803.jpg

I think I already know the answer to this question, but....

Is a honda gx390 engine worth double the cost of a predator 420cc?

I think I already know the answer to this question, but....

Is a honda gx390 engine worth double the cost of a predator 420cc?
No.
The Predator offer a 2 year extended warranty for a nominal amount. It is my understanding that you just drain the gas and oil and return it to the store. I believe it can only be exchanged once. . . but I would contact the Predator PEOPLE and verify.

If your not in a hurrah wait until a holiday when they offer 25 percent discount quepons.
I think HF runs special qeupons for the St Valentine's Massacre.

Nice going. I like the little side on the side opposite the lift, I need to do one of those. Are you going to put expanded metal on the lift? I think you will wish you had if you don't. I need to get started on another build...lol....got a 5" x 30" ram just sitting in the garage.
Edit: how do you like that little skill saw and is it noisy? I've never used one.

Are you going to put expanded metal on the lift?
Edit: how do you like that little skill saw and is it noisy? I've never used one.
Yes, I am going to put something on the top of the lift. Don't think it will be expanded metal though.

As for my evolution metal cutting circular saw, I love it. I use it a lot less now that I have my plasma cutter, but quite handy. It's pretty noisy, but bearable. Unless you are cutting thin sheet metal.... :chainsaw:

They might not let you use a quepon if the engine is on sale. The one near me lets the quepons be used off the regular selling price. It cannot be used for a engine greatly reduced for a sale.
Either way they are not a bad engine.

Latest posts

Back