Splitter Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured as much at that price. How about the robin subura? The local harbor freight has a 9hp. That is about all the motor I need as I am using a 16gpm pump with a 4" cylinder.

Thanks chad

An older fella I work with just bought a splitter from Harbor Feight with the Robin Subaru engine a couple of months ago. He says it works good so far, but a little early to tell yet. I have just heard rumors, no actual experiences of them being a really good engine, comparable to a honda in many ways. My only concern with them is what there would be for dealer support in my area. I am not sure how wide spread they have become yet.

Subaru Robin is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd. Subaru Robin was started in November of 1993. Subaru Robin provides marketing and support of Subaru Robin engines made by Fuji Heavy Industries' Industrial Products Division, Fuji Subaru Robin 2 Cycle engines, and Subaru Robin Manufacturing, USA.

Although Subaru Robin started business just a few years ago, Subaru Robin engines have been sold in North America since 1971. Teledyne marketed Subaru Robin engines with the brand name of Wisconsin Robin under an agreement with Fuji Heavy Industries, Ltd. This was done through the Teledyne Total Power company from 1971 to 1993. Teledyne sold their engine division and Fuji decided to market the Subaru Robin Engine line directly in North America.

Robin Engine

Just bought the 9hp for my splitter 2 days ago. Waiting for the pump mount to complete the installation. They have the same type of carboration as the Honda's and have dual bearings on the cam shaft. We put the oil in, gassed it up and tried to start it. It helps when you remember to turn the switch to "ON". The engine started on a couple of pulls and is real quiet. The dealer I bought it from runs a industrial rental supply here in Rochester and from what I saw in his shop, he uses these engines on a majority of his compactors, trash pumps, generators etc. Price I paid was $512. Had to pay 6 bucks extra for back freight, what ever that is.

Millman:givebeer:

My local Harbor Freight sells the 9HP Robin Subaru engine for $345, it is the non electric start version. One thing I found about these engines is that the rated HP is spec'd @ 4000 RPM. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but at 3600, the power output is less than 9. I think I saw a curve and it was somewhere around 8 @ 3600. One thing I like about this engine is that has an overhead cam. There is a chain in there driving the overhead cam and the overhead valves from the top of the cylinder. This is one reason they can run and spec it at 4000 rpm with no problems. Many small engines are OHV but not OHC.

Tom

Last edited:
My local Harbor Freight sells the 9HP Robin Subaru engine for $345, it is the non electric start version.

That is the same price as here. I have an older 8hp briggs I have been fighting with. I am about to throw in the towel and buy that robins.

From what I have heard the Robin is every bit as good as the Honda. The only negative MIGHT be spare parts. My local john Deere dealer who sells splitters, chippers, grinders, ect. says he has problems getting spare parts for Robins. I am not sure if that is just him or if it is a common issue.

robin parts$$$$$$$$$$$

work on small engines for a hobby and robin parts are hard to find good luck with fixing the recoil on these when they break you better be good at jimmy rigging because you talk about a pain in the butt
i'll stick with my briggs any day at least parts are cheap
:cheers:

Wrong info about Subaru Robin

I am biased, true, but I have sold Robin Subuaru engines for 7 years. The newer style engines you are all referring to is called the EX series--the OHC chain drive--I have sold thousands of these and have had zero problems with the recoils--getting parts is not hard at all, there are over 4,000 service dealers nationwide, and if you have trouble you can always contact Robin America their website is: www.subarupower.com. You can call them a the number listed and ask for Ron Kreuger--Cust. Serv. Mgr.

They will give you a name of your distributor--in Wisconsin it is Wisconsin Industrial Products. They are a good house and should have all the parts you could ever want for your Robin Subaru EX engines. Don't compare the old style side valve engines with the newer EH and EX ohv and ohc engines--apples and oranges. btw, one sharp pull is all you need to start these EX engines. Perhaps that is why you are having trouble with the recoil--pulling too hard. They require 30% less pulling force than Honda's older style push-rod GX Engine.

Latest posts

Back