Splitter Filter-Can I turn it 180 degress?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratface

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older Speeco splitter and the filter sits about 2-3 inches below the axle and just a few inches more above the ground. Obviously it will be the first thing to take any impact. If I turn it 180 degress it will clear the axle but will always be draining down. Current position is like this "U". If I invert it what problems will it cause?

If it's like other spin-on filters, no difference while you're using it - the filter doesn't care which way it points. Changing the element, which you should do regularly, at least once a year, may be a little messier than before.

Don the Hydraulics Guy

thank-you Don. I 'm ignorant on hydraulics and thought maybe the pump would lose prime because the filter would be in a constant state of drain.

Don is right on about this one! It will make a heck of a mess, but it's under pressure and wont care a bit!!

you SHOULD have the outlet higher then most of the filter. this will keep air from getting trapped in part of the filter, and losing filtering capability.

Hey Ray, turning it 90 degrees. Never even considered that. Sometimes the obvious is right in front of your face. Thanks all for the replies. I will replumb above the axle.

wouldn't having the filter in any other position than this : "U" invite air to get trapped inside of it?

also, be sure to keep the IN and OUT in the proper position if removing.

When you ask a question on this site, you sure get answers! Here's one more: I don't think you'll have to worry about trapped air with what, 13 - 16 GPM going through it. I think it will just push those bubbles right on through to the tank. Remember the tank return should be below the oil level to prevent churning air into the reservoir.

Don

Back