Splitter Hydraulics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the posts. I have a question about the 28 GPM pump that Northern sells. According to their catalog, it has a 1-1/4" inlet and a 1" outlet. I looked at the Barnes Hldex website, though, and it says that this pump has a 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet. I emailed a guy on eBay who was selling one and he said that it has the Northern specs. Can you order different ports from the factory?

On a more practicle level, I want to use a valve with a 3/4" inlet. If the pump has a 1" outlet, where should I make the step-down to 3/4"? I'm thinking that I should run a 1" hose all the way to the valve and then just have a reducer coupling at the valve itself. There has been a lot of discussion about spped, in feet per second, of fluid in hydrualic lines. I think that this will reduce the speed of the oil, while maintaining the same flow, whereas reducing the hose to 3/4" at the pump would make the oil flow at a faster linear rate, at the same volume, making the oil hotter. Any suggestiosn would be appreciated. Thanks a lot

NELOG,

Different ports are available on most any hydraulic pump. What is available for that particular pump you have, I don't know. They could be any number of combinations. NPT, SAE Straight thread, etc.

The hose question is a good one. Your flow velocity for the 28 gpm is going to be between 15 and 20 ft/sec., depending on hose size, and ID. -In essence, you're splitting hairs, and it won't matter much what you choose. One thing to be aware of is 3/4 inch hose will be more readily available than 1 inch. It will also cost a little bit less. It should also be less money to put a bushing in the pump, than a reducer at the valve.

Later,

Joe

splitter

if you are going to weld your splitting edges you may want to try some work hardening rod it's expensive but impressive.
i have a miller 130
miller plasma cutter
honda 200 amp red d arc welder.

Back