Splitter Mods New Tonnage Rating?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a used PowerPro Splitter that was rated at 16 Ton..... it had a 5hp Briggs powering a 11gpm 2 stage pump and pushing a 3" x 26" ram. Over the weekend I replace the motor and pump with an 11hp Honda and a 16gpm 2 stage pump. Can anyone tell me the approximate tonnage rating for the splitter after the improvements?

You tonnage didnt change unless you raised your relief pressure. What you succeded in doing is speeding up your cycle time.

Tonnage comes from the max psi you get from your pump x the diameter of your cylinder.

Then why does it seem twice as powerfull? Before it would almost stall when splitting large wood..... Now it just crushes the stuff....lol It must have gained power or something LOL. DOH!

Probably because 5 horse is just barely enough for 11GPM. I have an 8 horse on a 16GPM and can split all day at half throttle with no issues. You having 11 horse on 16GPM means you have power to spare. Probably also because its moving faster. Im sure you noticed the difference in cycle times.

We could all tell you how to raise your relief pressure, but the first and safe thing to do is put a Gauge somewhere between your pump and valve. You shouldnt adjust your relief untill you know wheres its set now. You also shouldnt adjust your relief untill you know the max psi limits on your hoses, fittings, and cylinder. When I built mine I made sure everything could stand 3000psi, and thats where I set my relief.

Stumpguy, I also have an 8hp 16 gpm setup for my splitter. I run mine at half throttle most of the time also. There is very little difference in ram speed from half to full throttle. I know it doesn't sound right with speed = more volume, blah,blah,blah, but that is the way it is for my splitter also. Don't get me wrong, there IS a speed difference, just not enough to make listening to that little 8hp scream worth while. Not to mention, I use far less fuel.

AMEN Jags!!!

Its not soo much the gas, but listening to the motor sreaming for hours is not tolerable. I can run my new motor/pump a little over idle and not see a tremendous power/speed cycle time unless I am splitting some NASTY stuff..... Then I crank that puppie UP!!! Yeah Baby FULL POWER!!! ArrArrArr!!:angry2:

WoodTick007 said:
Then why does it seem twice as powerfull? Before it would almost stall when splitting large wood..... Now it just crushes the stuff....lol It must have gained power or something LOL. DOH!

Probably because your old pump wasn't putting out full pressure. Either your motor was weak enough that it couldn't turn the pump to full pressure (what it sounds like) or your pump was worn and not producing full pressure, or both.

jags said:
Stumpguy, I also have an 8hp 16 gpm setup for my splitter. I run mine at half throttle most of the time also. There is very little difference in ram speed from half to full throttle. I know it doesn't sound right with speed = more volume, blah,blah,blah, but that is the way it is for my splitter also. Don't get me wrong, there IS a speed difference, just not enough to make listening to that little 8hp scream worth while. Not to mention, I use far less fuel.

less wear and tear on the engine as well.

WoodTick007 said:
AMEN Jags!!!

Its not soo much the gas, but listening to the motor sreaming for hours is not tolerable.
<snip> ArrArrArr!!:angry2:

Amen to that. My 5hp briggs has to run that way. While not overly loud (about like a lawnmower) I still wear my muffs when running it. Amazing how much noise adds to the 'work' of running equipment.

Harry K

jags said:

Thats exactly why I do it to, dont like listening to the motor scream if I dont need to.

WoodTick007 said:
ok, I have a pressure guage and need to know how to raise the relief valve pressure.

Can you post a picture of your valve.

I know how to do it, but getting the terminology right of what you need to remove to get to the adjuster I cant come up with.

" I know it doesn't sound right with speed = more volume, blah,blah,blah, but that is the way it is for my splitter also. "

That is because the pump volume and hp to drive it are no longer the limiting factor. The whole system is near it's max as far as volume go. There is a little to be gained with higher rpm , but it is no where linear in gain. The next step in speed would have to come from bigger lines, valves, hoses, ports, etc,etc.

ok guys. i would have never believed that there isn't much difference in ram speed using half throttle vs full, but, you guys have convinced me. i guess ya learn something every day. i can sure understand the noise issue too.

CaseyForrest said:

I know how to do it, but getting the terminology right of what you need to remove to get to the adjuster I cant come up with.

I can post a picture, but it will not be for a couple days. I have the splitter at my brother's house and will get a couple pics when I am there.

Splitter

I second the running at partial throttle. Noise, gas wear and tear etc. My splitter runs off the hydraulics of my case tractor. 18 HP Onan twin. Just off idle, nice and quiet, much more relaxing while working around it.

P1014089.jpg

CaseyForrest said:

Here is a photo of the splitter valve.

Latest posts

Back