Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Splitter - paying a premium for a Honda motor?

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by TreesFall, Jun 10, 2018.

1. TreesFall

TreesFall ArboristSite Lurker

2. NCPT

NCPT Love my saws

I would spend my money on something with more tonnage.

I'm looking at splitters in the 28-30 ton range at that price (in the market for a new one myself), and they have Kohler motors. I know a couple people with Kohler small engines and they have performed fine over the years. Do some maintenance and take care of it and they'll last like anything else.

farmer steve and Husky Man like this.
  3. Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee Addicted to ArboristSite

GX series, yes

But according to the specs the engine is a GC series, which in my opinion, FWIW, is a Honda in name only.
    The GC series motors are in no way as durable and reliable as the commercial GX series.

Take Care

4. Husky Man

Husky Man Addicted to ArboristSite

I can't comment on the relative value of a Honda Engine compared to a Kohler engine, but our 27 ton DHT has the 196cc 6.5hp Kohler, and it has given us several seasons of trouble free service, and has always started easily, even for my Wife.

I would buy another DHT, and a Kohler engine on anything would be Fine by Me.

I don't know what size or type of wood you typically split, but for ME, I would be looking for a Heavier unit as well. we had rented a 25 Ton Speeco, before we bought our 27 Ton DHT, for ME, a 25 ton would be the smallest I would buy, we never completely stalled the Speeco 25T, but we sure had it struggling a few times.

YMMV ;)

Doug :cheers:

5. Jwilliams

Jwilliams ArboristSite Member

This spring I purchased a dht 30 ton splitter with the optional Honda engine for an extra 100 bucks was well worth it Dan from dht is a member and site sponsor here I believe he got me a great deal maybe he will chime in and be able to help lut

6. greenskeeper

greenskeeper ArboristSite Operative

No. I'd pay for the "standard engine" and keep the difference in my back pocket for a harbor freight predator equivalent (if that day ever comes)

Of course some dopes on this forum claim my 18 year old B&S splash lube engine on my huskee splitter could never last, yet it still keeps going, year after year,splitting cord after cord.

7. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

What are you guys splitting to stall 30 tons?

My processor is like 12 or 15 tons. With a 6 way knife it's RARE I can't split it. Like maybe 5-6 blocks a year out of several hundred cords.

I'd trade tonnage for speed for most splitters. Something in the 3-5 second cycle time area.

kevin j and Sandhill Crane like this.
  8. lefturnfreek

lefturnfreek Sharpen the chain, chuck chips ...repeat...

Danhm that’s a quick spitter...!!!

My ol pile o junk I bought at an auction 10 years ago,$75 I think... just did a bunch of structural welding on it does a leasurly 14 second cycle... fast enough for what I do but I’m just a home owner woody guy not one who sells it.

8237E12E-F489-455A-BA80-8D9B4387CDA9.jpeg

It has a really old B&S and a wet kit off a B&H truck, 3 1/2 in 24in stroke ...

EBB6C15A-C554-4BCC-9CCD-7EFCBFE89717.jpeg

She just keeps on going....

9. WoodTick007

WoodTick007 Addicted to ArboristSite

10. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

My old splitter had a B&S and it was still good when I sold it, I got 15 years of good service out of it. My new one has the Kohler.
    I bought the new countyline 40 ton unit that just came out last year and I like it a lot. You should take a look at them before you pull the trigger.
    Splitter motors don't come under a heavy load very much. Most of the time there's no load on it at all. It only loads up for a short time and only on tough wood.
    For that reason just about any brand will last a long time as long as you keep good oil in it. Even lawn mowers that stay under a heaver load most of the time still last decades.

kevin j likes this.
  11. CR888

CR888 Addicted to ArboristSite

The commercial Honda engines if basic maintenance is upheld usually outlast the piece of equipment they are on. They are worth their premium IME over the long term if you put them to work a LOT.

Dogsout and Stihl working hard like this.
  12. rancher2

rancher2 ArboristSite Guru

I would spend the extra money on a splitter with a bigger engine and a bigger pump to get better cycle times. Watch the local farm stores as this time of year they run good discounts on splitters and always watch craigs lists summer is a good time to buy a splitter. If you change oil and service the air a Kohler will last a very long time.

Husky Man and Stihl working hard like this.
  13. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I just did a search and Tractor Supply does not list the 22 now, they start at 25 Ton, price $999.

14. moresnow

moresnow ArboristSite Operative

22 ton with the knock off Honda has been a great tool for me. Smooth and quiet. Sips fuel.

Stihl working hard likes this.
  15. Stihl working hard

Stihl working hard Is it Friday yet

52CDF1DC-5EBF-45E5-877F-E627C3C5C85C.jpeg I recently purchased a 30 ton Blackdiamond no name brand engine never stalls 15GPM the secret is low hour oil changes and it’s good on fuel

farmer steve likes this.
  16. GVS

GVS ArboristSite Guru

I've had at least 8 B&S engines over the years and only 1 that failed.I had a tecumsa that lasted over 20 years on a push behind mower.One chonda,seems OK but not the best starter,on a 20 ton splitter and one honda on a pressure washer,seems OK so far.Given my choice I'll choose B&S every time. Kolher used to be top of the line,but I don't know about them anymore.

17. NCPT

NCPT Love my saws

Curious about the price range for splitters with a 3-5 second cycle? I looked at SS kinetic splitters but too much $$$ for me right now. You can shorten the cycle time on a hydraulic unit, but you also lose the length? Correct?

I'm looking to spend $1500-1600 for a new splitter. A 30 ton is within that range, and I know I could get away with less tonnage but I never find myself saying I wish my power tools had less power lol.

Bobby Kirbos likes this.
  18. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

Length and cylinder diameter (where the high tonnage comes from) that and a bigger pump.

I'd rather have a faster less tonnage unit, but I suppose it depends what kind of wood is being split.

I think most splitters are slow to keep them dummy proof. Easier to get hurt on a splitter that is quick and requires a brain to use.

3-5 sec sounds quick, but it's not "chop your hand off" quick by any means. A Super Split has what, a 2 second cycle?

I'd rather be able to split a cord in an hour vs 3 hours on a slow splitter.

kevin j likes this.
  19. Husky Man

Husky Man Addicted to ArboristSite

Our 27 ton DHT has the 196cc, 6.5HP Kohler, it has been a very Reliable and Easy starting engine, and this is our third season on it.

I'm Very Happy with the performance of the Kohler on our splitter, I would buy another.

Doug :cheers:

laynes69 likes this.
  20. lefturnfreek

lefturnfreek Sharpen the chain, chuck chips ...repeat...

I did a lil shopping for a new splitter in the 25-30 T range before repairing mine, no faster cycle time than the one I have now. They are also pretty pricey up here, $2600 range nowa days sooo I think I’ll put up with the uglies and idiocies of mine for a while yet.