Splitter - paying a premium for a Honda motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a lil shopping for a new splitter in the 25-30 T range before repairing mine, no faster cycle time than the one I have now. They are also pretty pricey up here, $2600 range nowa days sooo I think I’ll put up with the uglies and idiocies of mine for a while yet.

I bought the 40 ton unit from TS. I got it at at the first of the year to replace my old 22 ton unit. Paid $1,999. I've run about 30 cords through so far and I really like it. It's faster then all others in it's category at 9.5 sec. It sips fuel and has plenty of power. I could only find one video but it's a good vid.

I'm looking to spend $1500-1600 for a new splitter. A 30 ton is within that range, and I know I could get away with less tonnage but I never find myself saying I wish my power tools had less power lol.[/QUOTE]
If I were you I would save a little more money and buy one in $2000 dollar range to get a bigger motor with a more GPM pump to speed the splitter up.

Seems like a metal tank would increase condensation. That being said, of the two Honda's I've had, a GX 160 on a conveyor that is ten years old and still going every day and a GX 200 on a splitter I sold was also ten years old, condensation has never been a problem.
What I would look for on any equipment is a fuel tank shut-off valve to use to run the carb. dry before towing (it keeps fuel from getting in the oil), or when storing for more than a month.

Seems like a metal tank would increase condensation. That being said, of the two Honda's I've had, a GX 160 on a conveyor that is ten years old and still going every day and a GX 200 on a splitter I sold was also ten years old, condensation has never been a problem.
What I would look for on any equipment is a fuel tank shut-off valve to use to run the carb. dry before towing (it keeps fuel from getting in the oil), or when storing for more than a month.

Condensation depends on the air transfering humid air in and out of the container. The movement of air in and out will also cause fuel evaporation. And one would think steel will condensate more then plastic, and you may be correct. Plastic, no mater how well it's sealed seems to let fuel evaporate where is steel does not. There must be something to it because all fuel is shipped and stored in metal containers, not plastic.
As for it building up in a fuel tank sitting on equipment. Several things apply. How often it's used, where the pick up is located with in the tank and location.

just picked this up today for 999
s-l640.jpg

I think every splitter like that one has the same flaw. See where the axle is welded to the hydraulic tank? It's welded to very thin sheet metal and the axle itself is very short. I can see a pot hole ripping a wheel off if it's hit with any force. Especially since the tires are so small and there's no springs.
Nice splitter though.

What are you guys splitting to stall 30 tons?

My processor is like 12 or 15 tons. With a 6 way knife it's RARE I can't split it. Like maybe 5-6 blocks a year out of several hundred cords.

I'd trade tonnage for speed for most splitters. Something in the 3-5 second cycle time area.
What brand processor do you have?

My processor is like 12 or 15 tons. With a 6 way knife it's RARE I can't split it. Like maybe 5-6 blocks a year out of several hundred cords.

I'd trade tonnage for speed for most splitters. Something in the 3-5 second cycle time area.
That's because there's NO hard to split wood in Alaska...

In all the years I lived in Alaska and split fire wood there, I never found anything that split hard.

SR

No. I'd pay for the "standard engine" and keep the difference in my back pocket for a harbor freight predator equivalent (if that day ever comes)

***Of course some dopes on this forum claim my 18 year old B&S splash lube engine on my huskee splitter could never last, yet it still keeps going, year after year,splitting cord after cord.***
I just retired an 7 or 8hp Tecumseh a couple years ago due to several issues with the carb. 1982, Cast iron sleeve, splash lube, and always started on the first pull when warm/hot and maybe the third when cold.

Be careful about wood falling on your engine.
s-l640.jpg

That splitter is THE BOSS!! I picked one up to modify. I tried it out and realized the tables need to be solid because the split will catch on it. If I don't mod mine I will put sheet metal over the tables.

Congratulations!!!

I bought a GX200 to replace a B&S. When I looked at the file cabinet paper work, that B&S was almost eighteen years old. Always used Mobil 1. It began to start hard so I replaced it. Don't know if it was valves, carb or what, but that's pretty good I thought. Running A Subaru on a SuperSplit with good luck, but I guess they don't make those anymore. Small local shop stocks and sells Honda engines, so that's where I'll go if I need something.
I'm wondering, do some engines have an auto compression release when pull starting?

I would not pay $200 more for an engine of same HP. I have an 8 HP B&S on my splitter. I built the splitter back in 1990. Only issue I have ever had was my fault dropping a round on one of the hoses. The old B&S started on 1st pull this year after sitting all season from probably February. I do use Stabil on the last tank of fuel run through it of the season. Always starts by third pull even when cold as long as I am the one starting it. If someone else leaves the choke on after the 1st pull it will flood and then you have to pull to clear excess gas.

I bought a GX200 to replace a B&S. When I looked at the file cabinet paper work, that B&S was almost eighteen years old. Always used Mobil 1. It began to start hard so I replaced it. Don't know if it was valves, carb or what, but that's pretty good I thought. Running A Subaru on a SuperSplit with good luck, but I guess they don't make those anymore. Small local shop stocks and sells Honda engines, so that's where I'll go if I need something.
I'm wondering, do some engines have an auto compression release when pull starting?
The SnowKings typically had the auto-compression release due to the fact the engine was used in cold weather. I'm not sure about the current clones and replacements.

GX series, yes

But according to the specs the engine is a GC series, which in my opinion, FWIW, is a Honda in name only.
The GC series motors are in no way as durable and reliable as the commercial GX series.

Take Care

Can't agree more.

Is the Honda motor worth $200 more than the Kohler in the 22 ton unit from Oregon?

https://www.logsplittersdirect.com/Oregon-OLS22H/p8039.html
What's up trees.
Curious what you decided to do.
I like the Honda motors myself, even the gc series, but prefer the gx models.
Most all the newer splitters are running Chinese clone motors, what engine do they chose to clone, the Honda gx series and for a good reason, they are great.
I noticed a good time ago that speeco started using the clone motors on their splitters and the speeco branded machines did not say what brand the engine was, then a short time later all the Huskee branded machines had the same engine but it said kohler. I do what I can not to support china even though many of the clone motors are very good, that being said they are still not made to the quality the Honda gx series motors are.
To the guys who have older motors that have lasted many yrs, one thing to remember is they don't make them like they used to, I often see splitters being sold that are under 5yrs old with little use that are burning oil, it's almost always the clone motors.
Kawasaki and Hondas are what I prefer.
There are so many variables that play into the decision of what type of splitter is the best, which motor is the best that many questions would need to be asked before throwing out random advice or what's worked for me so take it all with a grain of salt, just as hooked on phonics worked for many it doesn't mean that's the only way to learn how to read or write, but I'm not knocking it if it works for you(as long as you do what you can to avoid supporting china ;)).
Brett

Back