Splitter photos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going together for the last time. Got my tables built where I can pull a pin to take them off if need be but it looks like the beam will still stand up for verticle splitting with out doing that. I will post a pic in a few days when I have it all back together and give it a test drive.

We are not building a rocket here,..And dont want to know how to build one,...If some one asks a simple question, That 1 or 2 lines will answer, and they have to read three paragraphs to get your responce,that still dosnt answer there question, is frustrating, .period You said,..EVERY ONE elses situation is slightly different,

Well I for one enjoy reading his posts, I wouldn't mind building a rocket either for that matter but thats OT.

I think its great that he is willing to spend the time to type up what he knows about the subject at hand, and even add a bit more, You might not need to know everything he is explaining but the more you know the better you will be at designing/fixing things. Sometimes the little things don't matter, but when you design something you might have a bunch of things working against you, in that case (and how would you know?) its good to have a better understanding of what is really going on and that you can actually calculate things out to avoid problems.

You might not learn much from reading, and like peoples log splitters we are all different. However many people CAN benefit from reading posts like that, I read them and I write some that are just as long winded. My reason is that the more a person knows about a subject the better they can understand the problems at hand, and sometimes why it may be hard to give a direct answer due to the complexity. If a person is not interested in the topic or what the author has to say then they don't have to read it, they can scroll down to the next one. If they just don't understand, they should ASK or its their loss...

Of course the goal of all good technical writing is to be short, descriptive and to the point, (info packed) but the wider the audience's technical knowledge in a field is, the harder it is to cater to everybody in ways they can all understand,and be kept interested (or insulted), I respect his effort.

-Leo-

Fat

Well I for one enjoy reading his posts, I wouldn't mind building a rocket either for that matter but thats OT.

I think its great that he is willing to spend the time to type up what he knows about the subject at hand, and even add a bit more, You might not need to know everything he is explaining but the more you know the better you will be at designing/fixing things. Sometimes the little things don't matter, but when you design something you might have a bunch of things working against you, in that case (and how would you know?) its good to have a better understanding of what is really going on and that you can actually calculate things out to avoid problems.

You might not learn much from reading, and like peoples log splitters we are all different. However many people CAN benefit from reading posts like that, I read them and I write some that are just as long winded. My reason is that the more a person knows about a subject the better they can understand the problems at hand, and sometimes why it may be hard to give a direct answer due to the complexity. If a person is not interested in the topic or what the author has to say then they don't have to read it, they can scroll down to the next one. If they just don't understand, they should ASK or its their loss...

Of course the goal of all good technical writing is to be short, descriptive and to the point, (info packed) but the wider the audience's technical knowledge in a field is, the harder it is to cater to everybody in ways they can all understand,and be kept interested (or insulted), I respect his effort.

-Leo-

Point well takin OSN,..Kevin Knows I respect his opinions and posts, And I was just triming the fat off the steak, Hes a great guy and VERY imformative,..Eric

Were close to being finished with it, that photo is a few weeks old. When I get back home tonight I'll post some more photos:cheers:

Self Propelled

Fatguys:

In response to your earlier question yes, the unit is fully self powered and propelled. We used the transmission/pinion/final drives out of an old Allis Chalmers Model C tractor. We reversed the pinion and drive the transmission from the rear now via twin A-belts and a belt clutch. The hydraulics are powered by a haldex 16gpm pump attached directly to the engine(with room left for a bigger pump in the future).

The engine is a PowerTrain Industrial Duty 13hp that my brother picked up brand new at a machinery auction for $250.

The splitter cylinder is a steering cylinder off of a Cat front-end loader.
5" bore by 31" stroke.

We also have a 3"x8" cylinder used to tip the splitting beam up and down (it weighs about 500+ lbs when the cylinder is on and full of oil) and a 2"x 8" cylinder for hydraulic steering.

The frame is 2"X3" rectangular tubing with .25" wall thickness, and heavy wall 2" pipe.

Splitter beam is 8" H-beam with .5" web

Here are some pics: I'll try to embed them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

here's the old man and his toy.

dadsplittingjune07.jpg

http://www.raycomfg.com/Images/Silouettes/SoloPics/LS2526.gif

Bought this bout a year and a half ago...
has a 13hp Honda GX390, 1 cylinder motor
it's rated at 25 tons
and the cycle time is around 10 seconds...
handles a 24 inch log
has a hydraulic arm....and the wedge is is on a vertical hydraulic

the hydraulic lift can handle anything you can roll up onto it... pretty sure the manuel said 600 pounds.

some more...
We've finished puting the deck on it and are just diving into the hydraulics now, I'll post more pic's as soon as I get them off of my camera.

Keep them coming. I'd love to see how it al turns out. How do you plan to use it? Vertical? Horizontal? How do you plan to get rounds onto it? How will you off load split wood?

Over here (UK) we seem to favour tractor mounted units rather than tow them with a pick up. Here's mine it's one I had out off a scrap pile at a local farm. A lick of paint, new valve and a couple of hydraulic hoses - good as new ;)

Use

Fatguys:

Definatly designed our unit for verticle use, the beam was originally mounted on a simple running gear that we pulled around with a truck, on that rig it was able to be used it either verticle or horizontal positions. But, we never used it in the horizontal position, so when we redesigned it we didn't bother making it horizontally accessible. There is a hydraulic cylinder that tips the beam down off the frame and stands it upright.

Gordie,

Engineering wise an wideflange beam (W-beam) is a lot more stable than an I beam (S-beam). I beams will have thicker flanges but they are a lot narrower which offers much less resitance to twist and bending in the opposite (sideways) direction.

When you heavily load a beam it will try to twist. That is one of the reasons you will see cross pieces between long beams to resist against twist. On a log splitter we dont have a neighboring beam to tie too.

Another reason could be is that W-beams are more common to find in the used / scrap market where most home made splitters get their iron.

Don

Hi Don,

I was puzzled by your answer and for the longest time now haven't been able to get a visual image.
UNTIL yesterday! I was splitting a stubborn 3-way crotch and it was almost stopping the engine so I was on and off the valve to try and keep the engine running and "shock" my way through the wood. Then I watched the very top of the wedge as it moved with the twisting of the I-Beam.
That beam has more movements than a night crawler in a frying pan!

If I was to build a splitter I would definitely use an H-Beam for the reason you gave me.

Thanks for the input. :bowdown:

Back