Splitter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pglizerd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
20191104_134833_Film3.jpg Hello new here i Have a Brave it says Big Brave on Cylinder i traded for and i am having some problems i hope some one will know where to steer me when you frist start splitting it dose ok but after about 10 minutes it will stops splitting wood 16 -18 inches in diameter it will go up to log and barley leave a wedge mark on the wood i have changed hoses and put new fluid in but still no change I'm thinking of rebuilding it since i already have a investment in it need some info on pump size to use and cylinder size at the Moment it has a 6.5 hp predator engine i dont know what size pump is at the Moment but any help would be great. And if anyone could tell me what ton this unit maybe i have looked ever where on Cylinder but no info on it it just says Big Brave i have some pics of it 20191104_134833_Film3.jpg 20191104_134833_Film3.jpg Thank you

Attachments

• 20191104_134811_Film3.jpg
    20191104_134811_Film3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
There is no filter i have bought one but did not install it till i get it going wright

Pglizerd Welcome to the forum.
It wouldn't hurt to install a T and a gauge on the inlet of the control valve so you could trouble shoot the system. It may be the pump but it could be the cylinder or the control valve bypassing oil after its warmed up. If you do need a pump look at surplus center Lincoln Ne they have pumps and they pump finder says your 6.5 engine will run a 13 GPM pump your old one is probably a 11 GPM pump. The 13 would give you a little more speed.

Its a heavy black hose i have been watching it but its not collapsing its a 3/4 in hose

Pglizerd Welcome to the forum.
It wouldn't hurt to install a T and a gauge on the inlet of the control valve so you could trouble shoot the system. It may be the pump but it could be the cylinder or the control valve bypassing oil after its warmed up. If you do need a pump look at surplus center Lincoln Ne they have pumps and they pump finder says your 6.5 engine will run a 13 GPM pump your old one is probably a 11 GPM pump. The 13 would give you a little more speed.
Ok i will add that tee and gauge will the 13gpm give it more push power will i need to change the hydraulic tank ?

will the 13gpm give it more push power

No - push power is defined by the size of the cylinder and pressure in the system.
An increase in the GPM will translate to an increase in speed.

Is there any sort of tag/model # on your pump?

Are the couplings tight on both shafts, engine and pump?

Is the pump whining or making any loud unusual noise when this starts to happen?

Also, you can hold the spool lever for a little while to see if it gets warm which would indicate flow is bypssing the piston circuit. Or, If the hoses to the piston, and the piston get warm then it might be bypassing in the piston.

Does the hydraulic spool make a noise (pressure release/bypass) when you retract the piston fully?

all good suggestions, but everything is a ‘could be’ situation. Before throwing parts and money at it get the pressure gauge installed. Ideally a flowmeter also installed but at least start with the pressure gauge.

Mine started do just that. It how ever was home built with A viking 2 stage pump.
turned out the pump had a broken gear in it and the shop I took it to couldn't get the parts .
Sold me a new pump (Memory at the moment is eldery and shot on brand) it works but not at the force of the old viking pump.

:D Al

Mine started do just that. It how ever was home built with A viking 2 stage pump.
turned out the pump had a broken gear in it and the shop I took it to couldn't get the parts .
Sold me a new pump (Memory at the moment is eldery and shot on brand) it works but not at the force of the old viking pump.

:D Al

Still getting the same pressure? Perhaps the pressure needs to be set up a bit higher?

all good suggestions, but everything is a ‘could be’ situation. Before throwing parts and money at it get the pressure gauge installed. Ideally a flowmeter also installed but at least start with the pressure gauge.
True- but installing a gage is nothing but throwing money and parts at it if your basics aren't covered: couplings aren't turning, engine isn't running, no fluid, etc.

Latest posts

Back