Splitter Purchase!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I priced out the hub conversion today.

Hubs: $62
Wheels (can use same tires) $30
Mounting tires?? I'll estimate $10
Bearing Buddy $20
Grease $minimal

So including tax let's call it $130 all in. Still a great deal.

The funny thing is I was talking about bigger tires on the trailer dolly. However being 6'6" I wouldn't mind bigger tires on the splitter either...

I hauled mine on the road once, the day I bought it about 3 miles. If I had to haul it any distance, I think it would go on a trailer. I was always worried the reservoir being the axel could be damaged if a big pot hole was hit.

I hauled mine on the road once, the day I bought it about 3 miles. If I had to haul it any distance, I think it would go on a trailer. I was always worried the reservoir being the axel could be damaged if a big pot hole was hit.
Exactly right! Also anything over 35 to40 MPH is abad idea even on good road if the tires are the only suspension pieces.

Got the hubs put on today, need to find an open tire shop tomorrow to swap rims.

In retrospect a guy probably could pound bearing buddies into those integral rims and be good to go. They had the same bearings as the hubs I bought.

The only thing I didn't care for was the off brand bearing buddies (only brand Northern Tool stocked) were tough to get pounded in. But they are on now. They didn't come with dust cover/"bra" either so I need to buy those separately.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Another stress point is the brackets that hold that long heavy beam to the resevour. The neighbor almost ripped the beam and brackets off the tank of his husky 22 ton splitter. It was a real pain to weld it back together (oily metal).

Another stress point is the brackets that hold that long heavy beam to the resevour. The neighbor almost ripped the beam and brackets off the tank of his husky 22 ton splitter. It was a real pain to weld it back together (oily metal).

How did that happen?

I sure don't want to start an interweb war, my neighbor is NOT mechanically inclined, for starters.
I went to borrow the husky a couple years ago, he said sure, but maybe you can do a little repair to it.
Like I said, the tank and brackets were tearing apart.
There was no admission of guilt on his part, just said he had no idea how that happened.
My brother (he's pretty smart) and I looked it over and agreed that the trailering tongue (about 2.5 square tubing) and reservoir tank needed a triangulation brace welded to it. Starting mid way back from hitch to bottom of the tank. (1x1 square tubing) what we had on hand.
We assumed towing at high speeds and ruff roads combined with the relatively heavy beam created to much stress, causing the brackets to start to rip off the tank.
Hope that all made sense. I was not there watching it happen, just the aftermath.

Hmm.... That's why I would never trailer mine on the road any distance. IMHO the resvoir doubling as an axel just can't be good if something happens.

Hooked up and headed north.

View attachment 492675

crazy! :dizzy: I like it! looks a mean machine. is that your new splitter? wow... nice... :) will u keep it mobile at its new location or set up a wood splitting operation... shed, bldg., cover etc?

imo, nothing quite like a woodsplitting millshop. big or small... just dedicated to woodsplitting ... making firewood. I still remember the ones I ran into with my Dad years ago hunting in Oregon at his friend's farms and ranches... chips all over! :) oh - and plenty of firewood, as well...

I have plans to set up such an ops at my place... I have the shed space... 15' x 25' or so maybe a bit bigger... several spaces actually... repurpose one of my outbuildings...

ah-h the dreams we hold on to... :rolleyes:

Primarily it will be stored in my garage and wheeled or pulled out to the splitting area. I'm moving my woodpile back behind my septic mound as there is more room and more sun to dry things more quickly.

I did up the high speed hubs so I can pull it anywhere I want without needing to trailer it. So far so good.

Back