Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some real world experience on the difference between a 27ton 5.5hp splitter and a 35ton 8.0-12.0 hp splitter. Finally decided to stop dinking around renting them. Everyone seems to need them at the same time, and 1/2 the time they are rented out. Myself and some of my friends heat w/wood and we share splitter rental costs whenever we rent. I think my friends will throw me a buck or two anytime we use it. I've never used anything bigger than the 27ton range, and I am assuming the 35ton should blast through some of the wood that the other won't? I also use a slip-on 4-way wedge.

Thanks!!!

In the Pacific Northwest, we have some pretty large diameter logs like 30 inches or more. For something like this, a 34 ton splitter will bog down and really work to split it. So for me a 34 ton splitter is a minimum capacity.

Elsewhere the logs are smaller diameter and I suppose a lesser capacity splitter would do just fine?

FYI I rented first and saw what worked best for the logs in my area.

Splitter Question

I have 2 22 ton splitters. One has a 6 hp motor, one has a 13 hp motor. If the piece of wood to be split is square on each end I have not found any wood that either splitter won't split. In my area the diameter of the log doesn't have anything to do with how hard it is to split. The large diameter logs that are straight split much easier than a small knotted up piece.

The difference the motor makes is in the speed of the splitter. There are many threads below here where that has been discussed.

The horsepower rating doesn't always mean that the splitter is more powerfull. Horsepower is respondsable for gallons per minute. Log splitters with higher tonnage have larger diameter cylinders. So to keep the cycle rate down you need a pump with more volume and there for you need more horsepower. The difference in log splitters is cylinder diameter and the GPM rating of the pump. Don't worry about the horsepower rating. IMOO get the log splitter with the biggest diameter cylinder this is the splitter with the most power. And watchout manufacturer are not always honest with their tonnage ratings. Compare cylinders!

Ok, Ram speed comes from the GPM of your pump. You need at a min 1/2 horse per GPM. So 16 gpm needs at least 8 horse. This is all under the assumption you are using a 2 stage pump.

Total tonnage comes from the max psi of your pump, and the diameter of your cylinder bore. I forget the formula....Let me try....4" cylinder, times 3.14 = 12.56 total area on the ram x 3000 (max psi of the pump if you adjust your relief correctly)=37680 divided by 2000 = 18.84 tons of splitting force. I dont believe having more than 1/2 horse per gpm matters, as I can run my splitter half throttle all day and not have anything it wont split.

This also brings up the debate of how do they get 22 tons out of a 4" cylinder.

monk680 said:
The horsepower rating doesn't always mean that the splitter is more powerfull. Horsepower is respondsable for gallons per minute. Log splitters with higher tonnage have larger diameter cylinders. So to keep the cycle rate down you need a pump with more volume and there for you need more horsepower. The difference in log splitters is cylinder diameter and the GPM rating of the pump. Don't worry about the horsepower rating. IMOO get the log splitter with the biggest diameter cylinder this is the splitter with the most power. And watchout manufacturer are not always honest with their tonnage ratings. Compare cylinders!

Correct in a sorta roundabout way. It is the pump that is responsible for gpm. The more gpm, the more hp is needed to drive it.

My homebuilt is handicapped two ways. 3 1/2" cylinder (should be 4") and 13 gpm pump run by a 5 hp brigges 6x1 gear reduction. Slow is a good description but since most of my wood splits before the wedge goes more that about 1/4 way in, the speed doesn't detract that much.

Harry K

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like I am going to end up with a Huskee 27ton 5.5 hp.

What did I do before I had this site to find info at?

mga said:
not bad for the price:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91840

and, if mechanical at all, you could always beef up any areas that might need attention.

A good friend of mine purchased one of these last year and it is dead already. He thought he would save a few bucks but it will now end up costing him more. I purchased a Troy Built (MTD) 27 ton with a 5.5hp Honda and it goes thru everything I have thrown at it. Purchased it from Lowes. Signed up for the credit card and got a good discount in doing so and ended up paying a hair over $1000 and paid it off on the first bill.

I just bought a 35 tonner from tractor supply - a bit more expensive, but it splits anything - I am adding a 4 way wedge this week, which is a bit of a challenge to make, but is possible

Spending the extra money for a quality splitter is absolutely worth it in my mind

Harbor Freight splitters

Hey, Hammer, what about your friend's splitter gave out? If he bought it new he should have a 2 year warranty. I have had problems with my HF splitter. First is the spider coupling failed (turns out they use the improper size and an inferior material) and then my buddy broke the wedge on a tough piece of wood. Both were replaced fairly easily by me. Overall I still think it's a good value. Has a Briggs engine.

Just curious what went wrong with his.

MarkG

IF I wanted to make my own spliter....(i made one about 2 years ago and its freaking slow)

I want your ideas, im looking at the northern tool book.

first 22 or 28 gallon barnes 2 stage pump?
Can I use an vertical engine?
What about control valves??? they have an Prince log splitter valve thats good for 25 gpm and 2750 psi.
what size ram?
can it have a 4 way head?
ram with the head on it or the flat pusher???

I would def. go with a ram pushing the wood into a wedge. I'm running into that right now with attempting to put a 4 way wedge on a cylinder. I have used the ram pushing the log design before and it has worked really well, except for the fact you can't have a vertical splitter.

When I build things like this I sort of take a simple approach. Common hydraulics are built for the 2500~3000 range. I use 3000 as a base number. Get a cylinder buig enough to do the work required based on the 3000psi. Size the pump for the speed desired with that cylinder. Size the motor to that pump requirement. Keep all lines and hoses as big as practical.
Some simple rules I follow when I have built for others.
1. cylinders is the real derterminer
2. no single stage pumps.... would have to be a real cheap setup to use one
3. since you don't have to carry it on your back, a bigger engine is better than a small one. Only a small cost of extra fuel.
4. If you are building the frame, same thing... bigger.

Sorry, Husky137, I misspoke. The wedge basically separated from the mounting plate - weld broke there. The wedge is solid, but is housed inside some steel and all is welded to the bottom plate.

Mark

Husky137 said:
Thanks for the clarification, but that's still messed up. I'd be pi$$ed.

Happened to us on Mod 1 of 7 we built in the company shop. Pushed the wedge right out of the end of the armiture. Better believe that got beefed up a bunch.

Wedge on cylinder. I can see no benefit to having it there except that you can then have a vertical model. Other than that, put the wedge on the end of the armiture.

Harry K

Food for thought: With the wedge on the ram (cylinder), splits will tend to fall on your feet. With the wedge at the end of the beam, splits fall off the end. I designed my log splitter so that when I am splitting a large amount the splits continue to fall off the end creating a pile. As the pile gets larger the newest split pieces will begin to push into the pile. As this continues the splitter itself will slowly start to walk backwards creating a large, long pile of splits. Works great.:cheers: Oh, and if you like to create taller piles, just take a couple of splits and wedge behind each wheel of the splitter and you will be amaized at how tall those piles will get.

I use a four way splitting attachment just slips over the single blade.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back