Splitters are overrated in splitting force

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"What it does is that it disable the piston on the rod and only push on the rod. 4" bore with a 2" rod will go 4 times faster."

------

Please explain how this is possible...:confused: :confused:

hydraulics etc

"What it does is that it disable the piston on the rod and only push on the rod. 4" bore with a 2" rod will go 4 times faster."

------

Ok all it is doing is robbing pressure/flow from the rod end of the cylinder generated from the resistance of splitting and feeding it back and redirecting it to the piston end/barrel end of the cylinder rather than allowing it to return back to tank at a very low pressure.

It is using the back pressure/resistance developed on the rod and and delivering to the piston end of the cylinder.:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Rebuild your splitter and add 3-5 times the speed with a regenerative function on your directional valve or a automatic inline valve between directional valve and cylinder. What it does is that it disable the piston on the rod and only push on the rod. 4" bore with a 2" rod will go 4 times faster.

Actually my splitter is lighting fast with a 6sec cycle time. I was only pointing out that it doesn't take alot of pressure to split wood. And that speed is there regardless of how tough the wood is because I have a single stage pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowMaker

------

Please explain how this is possible...

Ok all it is doing is robbing pressure/flow from the rod end of the cylinder generated from the resistance of splitting and feeding it back and redirecting it to the piston end/barrel end of the cylinder rather than allowing it to return back to tank at a very low pressure.

It is using the back pressure/resistance developed on the rod and and delivering to the piston end of the cylinder.
Q

Pretty much it. what it physically does is connect the rod side and closed side together, so that any oil coming out of rod side goes to closed side. Thus, the only area that is effective for the 'new oil' coming in is the area of the steel rod. The 4B 2R cylinder effectively is a 2 inch single acting ram at that point, thus the 4x speed and 1/4 of the force. Once the pressure reaches some load pressure (set by the spring in the regen valve and usually adjustable), the regen effect drops out, the return oil from rod side goes to tank, and the cylinder becomes a 4 B area again. Full force, but back to original speed.

Two stage pumps put out high volume at low presure, low volume at high pressure.
Regeneration takes whatever the flow is and extends the cylinder in either high speed low force (rod area only) or reverts back to normal high force full area slower speed.
With two stage pump regen actually might be too fast and be dangerous.
It is a good quick fix for small single stage pump (cheaper for the OEM than a two stage pump)
It only works in extension. Retract is whatever pump flow dictates.

k

------

OK here it is.....First time I saw this was on a logging crane that had a telescope end. The 2" cylinder with a 1" rod, had a piston with a little check valve with a soft spring. That check valve disabled the piston on outgoing action, and the oil on the rod side took a short cut thru the checkvalve into the closed side of the piston. The only oil the pump needed to supply was the volume of the piston rod going out. This setup can only give you one speed on outgoing, and barerly no force at all (1" rod diameter). That telescope was going out with help of gravity.

To make a 2 speed set up we need to control the regeneretion of oil. That can be done the long way thru the manual 4th position in the directional valve, or half way thru the automatic inline valve between directional valve and cylinder.

called Prince several times... and got the deluxe run around.
all I want to do is buy a valve... can't get thru to technical... they referred to a distributor.... who referred to a salesman.... who referred to an outside sales.... arggggggg

what a way to treat someone to wants to spend $$$

Sorry to hear that....did you get a retail number...here is my closest retailer, Spencer Fluid Power in Kent WA. 1-800-367-5646 or Yakima wa 1-800-572-8351.

So does that mean the regeneration valve can't be used with a 2 stage pump if you already have it?

I think it will work. If there is to high flow on 2nd stage it will just jam up in the directional valve with a lot of pressure loss......and a slower speed but still faster than normal......but best to check with the sales engineer.....se my ph # on other post on this thread

You should definately upgrade to R17-12 3/4" 3000psi on at least on that valve port going to the piston rod side of cylinder. (piston going in)

URL: www.princehyd.com • E-MAIL: [email protected] • PHONE (605) 235-1220
Contact Prince, and give them your pump data (cui per rev and rpm) bore diam, piston rod diam. They will tell you if you can get FULL performance with your pump-cyl combo. I guess you will end up with a 5 sec high speed cycle, because your regenerated flow will be higher than valve rated 25gpm.
Prince will also give you the local retailer for this valve. There was a 6 week waiting list on this valve when I called. Good luck!

Sorry had a hit of Alzheimers here, of course you need to upgrade both hoses to cylinder 3/4" minimum

ok... I get it...

will the regen valve work on return stroke too?

attachment.php

Seems to me putting pressure on both side of the piston means it will only move in one direction do to differential area. Thats why its only good for extend.

In my case already having super fast cycle times this mod would allow me to run the tractor just above idle and still maintain speed. As it is now I run at 1500RPM E-PTO.

Last edited:
Back