Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Der Teufel der lacht nur dazu! HA HA HA HA HA!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay I need some advice. I own a homemade splitter that I bought second hand. It's a vertical splitter. It works but It cannot split anything longer than 9 inches which is a bummer.
I'm wondering about buying something more substantial. Are horizontal splitters really that much more effective?
They sure are way more expensive.
I have not used my splitter much at all, I have always used an axe. Time is of the essence these days though.
What are some good makes to look for?

Okay I need some advice. I own a homemade splitter that I bought second hand. It's a vertical splitter. It works but It cannot split anything longer than 9 inches which is a bummer.
I'm wondering about buying something more substantial. Are horizontal splitters really that much more effective?
They sure are way more expensive.
I have not used my splitter much at all, I have always used an axe. Time is of the essence these days though.
What are some good makes to look for?
Only better if you always have huge logs you cant lift. Just dont buy China crap.

i bet you'll get a hundred opinions :)
i went for broke, bought a 'Splitfire'. it was not cheap. But it is a quality item. i have the smallest one they make (2260 i think).
splitting 'both' ways sure speeds the process up, even without a helper. I now have a processor so rarely use the splitfire but i'll never sell it, i get giddy every time i have to use it :)

I use a vertical 9 ton, 3Kw electric. 15 amp plug but it runs fine on a 13amp domestic, even with a 30m extension cord. Its a "Max Axe" from Hartnett near Blarney. Chinese. €580. The new ones have cages because of new safety regs, exploding logs etc. I removed the he right handle and rigged it so it can be activated with the left handle alone, thus bypassing the safety feature and "weaponizing" the Max Axe for maximum leathality. Had it working off a foot pedal at one time but it never really worked that well. The deck is adjustable vertically to accommodate anything from 0 to 3 foot long. Stroke is about 2 feet, I think. It's strong but very slow. Speed can be increased with the wide wedge, depending on the wood. Something like ash will burst apart really quickly, you don't need much penetration before it pops. You can set a limiter on the return stroke as well, so the wedge is always just above the log, this saves a lot if time. I like vertical, as you can arrange and reposition your logs as you like, and they stay put. I need to build an extension table for it though. Also added bigger wheels to it, as the ones it comes with are tiny and useless.

The one I have is not on wheels. It works off the back of a tractor and has the same fittings as a transport box. Handy in the regards. But it's cat not being able to use it on practical sized rounds.

The one I have is not on wheels. It works off the back of a tractor and has the same fittings as a transport box. Handy in the regards. But it's cat not being able to use it on practical sized rounds.
Look for a good heavy built one with a Honda GSX series engine .

If you know of any shops with a bunch of machinery outside, you could look around for old homemade splitters laying around. I was at a welding shop today and there was one sitting outside. Just a thought.

I have been very happy with our 27 Ton DHT, it will split Vertical or Horizontal

Our DHT has the 196cc/6.5HP Kohler engine, which has beenDead Reliable. Honda makes an Excellent engine, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t pay extra for a Honda, if the Kohler is the “Base Model“ I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Kohler powered tool

Doug :cheers:

Slightly confused. I just bought a pto drive 3 point splitter over 60 years old and it splits really long wood and will split 20+ diamater ash. You say it wont split wood longer than 9 inches? If it runs off the tractor then there isnt much to it. Why buy a splitter that only has 9 inches of travel? Or am I missing something lol. I like the tractor running the splitter its quiet and powerful but I have to take it off to mow the lawn.

Change the beam and stroke?
My first homemade splitter lasted 25+ years. My second homemade splitter was too heavy for me to handle. But I designed the pusher with no bolts. It’s welded up like a puzzle. Plus it had a loading hydraulic crane grapple for big wood with a work table. A 5”; bore cylinder at 3 k psi do the math. What didn’t want to split she cut through it. I sold it.

Back