splitting big rounds with a jack hammer??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deal with alot of big rounds. I have found using the loader on my tractor and setting them in the splitter in the vertical position and quartering them works pretty good but still a pain. If I could quarter them easier and quicker it would be nice. I don't really like noodling them either. I have never used a jack hammer. So I don't have a clue if it would work.

Ok. I really don't expect it to fair too well. I see it just driving the bit into the log without much splitting going on. But in the name of fun, I'll try to get some video this weekend just so we know. I'm not sure if you've priced them, but even if it works I really couldn't imagine it being feasible. On big rounds that I just can't manhandle, Iusually quarter or half with the saw.

Might work on some rounds that have a natural split already started. Some of my oak rounds have splits so big it looks like there ready to pop right apart.
Not all of them have a natural split to work with. The ones that sit on the round part seem to split more then the ones that lay on the flat cut part.
Be kinda noisy though.

I deal with alot of big rounds. I have found using the loader on my tractor and setting them in the splitter in the vertical position and quartering them works pretty good but still a pain. If I could quarter them easier and quicker it would be nice. I don't really like noodling them either. I have never used a jack hammer. So I don't have a clue if it would work.

I do a lot of noodling, and I've also done my share of jackhammering. Jackhammers and the bits that go with them are designed for use on stone and concrete. They are also heavy and cumbersome. I don't think jackhammering would work at all for splitting wood unless you built a special wood splitting bit for it. Noodling is really not hard work at all, it's not nearly as much work as jackhammering. I noodle with a Husky 288 and it goes fast, all I do is sit there and hold the saw in position while it does all the work.

I do a lot of noodling, and I've also done my share of jackhammering. Jackhammers and the bits that go with them are designed for use on stone and concrete. They are also heavy and cumbersome. I don't think jackhammering would work at all for splitting wood unless you built a special wood splitting bit for it. Noodling is really not hard work at all, it's not nearly as much work as jackhammering. I noodle with a Husky 288 and it goes fast, all I do is sit there and hold the saw in position while it does all the work.

Same here. The key to easy noodling is a sharp chain, i.e., one that has been sharped but not yet used.

Harry K

dunna lodda work with big air hammers , they get heavey to soon and that's using them in a conventional manner lifting them 16/18 /20 " or more for cord wood would knock you up real quick , yeah bugga that , godda be an easier way bloke yeah;O))

and the guy above is making toothpicks for all you newcomers

I know a guy that ONLY uses a skidder mounted jack hammer. He swears it's faster/easier then anything else out there. The only problem he has is that it has to be really cold out and the ground has to be completely frozen.

He said when it's cold the rounds pop right apart. He also mentioned if the ground isn't completely frozen, the hammer just drives the round down into the ground.

What's kinda odd is, I was just thinking about this very subject a couple days ago and was wondering how well it would work. I was going to put the rounds on concrete to try though, as it's obvious the rounds have to be on something SOLID or what's under it, will absorb the pounding.

As for using the tractor, I one time had a HUGE oak that I wanted to split the whole log. I ran length way down one side with my chainsaw/24" bar. That went a little over half way through, then I put my tractor/pallet forks in the chain sawed crack, pushed down hard enough to lift the front end with my pallet forks, finishing the split of the log.

I had to rattle the log around to get it down, but it did work...

SR

Back