splitting big rounds with a jack hammer??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps if you could weld up an actual splitter wedge so it would fit in the chuck on the hammer. That would weigh a lot more over a regular concrete chisel though, not sure if that would affect the function or not.

You didn't hear the news? On January 23, 2013, at 3:57 p.m., there officially was a video for EVERYTHING somewhere on the Internet. It's still being debated as to whether this a praiseworthy achievement or a colossal setback for mankind.

That is one really UNIMPRESSIVE method. I coulda done better with a couple whacks with a dull ax. Does look like a good way to greatly increase the effort it takes to split wood though.

Harry K

Yeah, a full size jackhammer (90# or so) would be WAY more work just to get into position than it would be worth. Maybe a small chipping gun, but that won't have the force behind it.

I think for all the effort, you would be better off splitting with a maul, or driving wedges. Besides, the part I enjoy about splitting is that it is quiet after all the noise of cutting. That would not be the case with a compressor and hammer running... o_O

20140919_201118.jpg How bout a electric log splitter sitting upside down on a big round??? I know they are not that Power full. But most time after they are dry it don't take much. I'm willing to noodle the real nearly ones. Or how about a smaller cylinder hand held splitter that you can hook to your tractor or skid loader hydraulic s. With maybe 10 foot hoses. That you could set on top of the big rounds. Could you set it up to split as the ram retracts into the cylinder to keep it compact.

View attachment 369325 How bout a electric log splitter sitting upside down on a big round??? I know they are not that Power full. But most time after they are dry it don't take much. I'm willing to noodle the real nearly ones. Or how about a smaller cylinder hand held splitter that you can hook to your tractor or skid loader hydraulic s. With maybe 10 foot hoses. That you could set on top of the big rounds. Could you set it up to split as the ram retracts into the cylinder to keep it compact.
Maybe this design could be used with a regular splitter with some quick disconnects plumbed in somewhere.

My Dads friend is so good with his back hoe he splits his wood with the excavating arm. He uses one of the teeth and just pushes down. He can run his machines like there extensions of his body, true professional. He is insane in his excavator. Big rounds, small rounds, he sets them up then splits them all from his seat.

My Dads friend is so good with his back hoe he splits his wood with the excavating arm. He uses one of the teeth and just pushes down. He can run his machines like there extensions of his body, true professional. He is insane in his excavator. Big rounds, small rounds, he sets them up then splits them all from his seat.
I know a fella that does this but made a removable wedge to fit his hoe bucket. There are 2 guys working together cutting and splitting for their owb's. They cut a lot of wood in a big hurry using this method. The ground guy stands up the rounds and the other runs the hoe just bumping down on them with the wedge.

I know a fella that does this but made a removable wedge to fit his hoe bucket. There are 2 guys working together cutting and splitting for their owb's. They cut a lot of wood in a big hurry using this method. The ground guy stands up the rounds and the other runs the hoe just bumping down on them with the wedge.

I know a guy that uses a similar method. He holds logs off the ground with the bucket/grapple of his track-hoe while his son cuts 20" rounds. When they run out of logs, the boy stands the rounds face up as fast as he can while his dad chases him down the line with one tooth of the bucket busting each round in half. If the logs are 24" diameter or bigger, he will bust them in half again to make quarters, but most of the time he leaves the half rounds for the boy to bust up with a maul if needed. Their furnace will take some pretty big chunks of wood, so he doesn't have to split much. Works pretty well for him, and I know I would have loved to run a saw and split wood like that at 11 years old. They split about 2 cords at a time (month's worth at his house), and it only takes them about 2.5 hours every 4th Sunday afternoon.

I know a guy that uses a similar method. He holds logs off the ground with the bucket/grapple of his track-hoe while his son cuts 20" rounds. When they run out of logs, the boy stands the rounds face up as fast as he can while his dad chases him down the line with one tooth of the bucket busting each round in half. If the logs are 24" diameter or bigger, he will bust them in half again to make quarters, but most of the time he leaves the half rounds for the boy to bust up with a maul if needed. Their furnace will take some pretty big chunks of wood, so he doesn't have to split much. Works pretty well for him, and I know I would have loved to run a saw and split wood like that at 11 years old. They split about 2 cords at a time (month's worth at his house), and it only takes them about 2.5 hours every 4th Sunday afternoon.

Sounds like fun to me!

Google for videos of cedar shake mills and what they use to break down big rounds.

I think if i were using a rescue tool, I would use a shear and just cut it, something like this? OTOH, I've always just used an axe, maul or worst case, sledge and wedges. Noodled maybe 10 rounds in my life.

But I'm only 53, so I haven't been at it that long.

We have a bunch of 90# air hammers and it would be a hell of a workout splitting wood with them. I do know that a 5500# hydraulic hammer on the end of a hoe just smashes wood. One hit and it's just squishes

Well gents what a worthy topic we have here jackhammering wood rounds, well worth a bit of R&D. Make sure you hold a beer so as to protect your fingers. lf l had a big jackhammer i'd give it a go but a big demo hammer attached to a USA catterpillar would have to split something. The chisel would have to be changed a bit for wood l'd guess.

Hydraulic hammer on a backhoe...
Splitter mounted on a excavator...there a lots of these on youtube

I've done my share of jack hammering For very large rounds that are too large and cumbersome I could easily see a jackhammer with a spade bit busting them into manageable chunks , not something I'd want to try spending the day using but for giant rounds and no way to move them I 'd think this could be a blessing

I am pretty sure this topic was discussed years ago here. The conclusion was that round had to be in something solid like concrete, and what the jackhammer could split in 2 minutes would split with a maul in half that time.
Even the video above with the backhoe and hammer took longer than splitting with a maul.
I have been considering a hydraulic splitter mounted upside down on my skid steer like the one on the excavator above. That would be the ticket for those hard to roll over to the splitter rounds.

I deal with alot of big rounds. I have found using the loader on my tractor and setting them in the splitter in the vertical position and quartering them works pretty good but still a pain. If I could quarter them easier and quicker it would be nice. I don't really like noodling them either. I have never used a jack hammer. So I don't have a clue if it would work.
I think it would if you modify an asphalt bit with a welded wedge or grenade it would work. I think that just a plain shank bit it will push through and get stuck.
Capture+_2018-12-25-18-50-25-1.png

Latest posts

Back