Splitting big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I wanted to see if I could post a video using Tinypic
Tinypic didn't work but I did put it on youtube then pasted it over.

Here is how I bust big rounds down to manageable sizes.
Notice how I put some 2 by's down to help make it level and use a dolly to move the rounds.
It sure is easier on the back then trying to wrestle them around by hand.
Roll it in, split it, then roll it out.
These are green water oak rounds.

Same message: "This video is unavailable."

I think when I uploaded the video to youtube I made it privet, so it's only letting me see it. I tried to re post it but it wouldn't except it because the video already exist. I'll try something different. Bear with me. I'll get it posted somehow.

Anyway, SB47, your verbal description is excellent. One of my old friends used a 12-lb sledge hammer and an 8-lb wedge. He was about the only guy I knew who could accurately rouund-house swing a 12-lb sledge. He seldom missed.

His technique on the really big rounds was to go around the outside first, tangent to the annular rings, taking off chunks about two to three times the size of the final log. Then when those perimeter chunks were done, he picked up an 8-lb splittng maul and split those chunks for the final logs.

I used his technique for years, but I must admit, I had to drop down to a 10-lb sledge.

I think when I uploaded the video to youtube I made it privet, so it's only letting me see it. I tried to re post it but it wouldn't except it because the video already exist. I'll try something different. Bear with me. I'll get it posted somehow.
Go to settings and swirch it off of private to pubic. Or, Just invite all of us over for an evening of fine viewing.

Back