Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20180809_140606.jpg

Chopped down a cherry tree today with the machete. The boss decided he didn't want to line up any work today so I got to stay home. So I took the kids outside after nap time and chopped down this tree. All my 4 year old had to say was that I had to move the tree so mom could come home. I'll break out the old wood shark later and chop the stump down and cut the tree up.

What would be a good head to look for about 3.5 lbs -4 lbs for a wedge banger that chops good and will stick to the tree easy while i am felling it ,my little husky forest axe does all that but is a little small ,i have a stihl axe thats about the right size ,but its a cheap steel material ,i can not get a good edge on it like the husky axes .the arvika is a good size i have ,but its more a splitter ,and it dont stick to the tree like i want .i do not want to grind the head any because i split wood with this one .

What would be a good head to look for about 3.5 lbs -4 lbs for a wedge banger that chops good and will stick to the tree easy while i am felling it ,my little husky forest axe does all that but is a little small ,i have a stihl axe thats about the right size ,but its a cheap steel material ,i can not get a good edge on it like the husky axes .the arvika is a good size i have ,but its more a splitter ,and it dont stick to the tree like i want .i do not want to grind the head any because i split wood with this one .
They say a true temper kelly perfect Jersey for chopping. Wedge banger not sure on that.

@Philbert had a couple of the straight handle Bailey’s axes, perhaps he can add to this.

At Walmart this morning. Their knock off naul is ever so close in shape to mimicking the great and powerful Isocore. Much better than the rounded cheek crap maul at Home Depot anyhow!

C1197BCD-F2F4-4480-A208-8D78CCC65AC1.jpeg

I have a 31 inch.

That must be a fine axe. I wouldn't mind having one. It is pricey though.

I'd say anything that's in that weight range and has a relatively flat poll. My current wedge banger is a fallers axe that I put together from an old rusted 3.75 lb Michigan that @rarefish383 gave me. Stuck it on a 28" straight stick and I carry it in a scabbard on my sawing belt when falling or bucking big logs. That way it's always within reach to pound a wedge or chop some dirty bark away for a cut.

That's funny when you say the Arvika is a splitter when it is actually intended to be used as a chopper, a Tasmanian pattern - quite literally a racing axe (basically a blank slate for a custom grind). From the factory they are pretty much just blunt edged clubs, but I put custom bevels and grind on mine and got it shaving sharp, now it throws chips big enough to eat off of. Obviously you certainly can split with it, but I tell you, get a proper grind on that bad boy and it becomes a devastating force.

They say a true temper kelly perfect Jersey for chopping. Wedge banger not sure on that.
this the style ? I like the shape of this one ,the kelly looks to have a thin face and a nice wedge pounding area ,i like how my husky carpenters axe head is ,it chops nice and sticks to the tree nice ,just too light .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/True-Tempe...attern-Axe-Council-USA-6-LB-Maul/273373510563
This plomb has a nice shape to it also ,looks like its been hit a few times with a sledge though .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Plumb-4-Rockaway-Style-Axe-Head-3-lbs-15-oz/132727344065

That plumb would clean up very easily. The flint edge is in excellent condition. The big wide poll on the Jersey should make it a great wedge banger I'd think
I like the look of those heads ,faces seem thin like a chopping/cutting axe

Canadian outdoor equipment has the best price on them.

COE is a good retailer all around. Have purchased a few things from them including my Wetterlings Hudson Bay. Hadn't checked their site in a while, the promotion from Sheldon Hill came to my email specifically for that axe, so I posted the link without thinking. If I recall, COE has free shipping to the lower 48 for orders over 150 USD.

Edit: wholly spelling error, Batman!

They are indeed, here's mine!

97L0ZQv.jpg

Back