Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some splitting with the X25 today. I love Red Oak for splitting....
345b83a0c84dae22eb8883a135b54d5c.jpg
3f917eea92c72285a6891074b3576bb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Well men, I got what I asked for at christmas. Well in a round about way. My mother in law presented me with a $70.00 lowes gift card, with a not that read. Go get your axe thing, there were too many to chose from.
So I swung by lowes and grabbed the 8lb isocore fiskers maul.
20201226_194822.jpg
Here it is next to my wilton maul. Now one of my complaints with the wilton is the short handle, which I though was 36" well it's only 30". Go figure lol.
First impression of the fiskers.
Handle has a nice feel to it, its solid and not hollow like some of the other Fisker products. The wedge shaped of the maul isnt quite what I expected. It's more of a wedge than a typical maul design. The factory edge is pathetic. Like 60 yo butter knife dull. It does have a very nice coating on the head, time will tell how fast it will wear off. I'm very keen to put it to work, I think I'll like it more then my wilton, just because of the handle length. I'll keep you posted with my impressions once I get to use it.

Did some splitting with the X25 today. I love Red Oak for splitting....
345b83a0c84dae22eb8883a135b54d5c.jpg
3f917eea92c72285a6891074b3576bb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Half a country apart, and I think we see eye to eye on the virtue of Red Oak for splitting, with a Fiskars - and in my case under the watchful eye of a trusty bird dog:

IMG_7262.jpg

And I also appreciate your preference for apply Red on Red:

IMG_7301.jpg

Have a great and healthy new year in the woods

Wanted to give an update on my fiskers isocore maul. It works well, arguably better then my wilton maul, the swing feels natural with the long handle, it doesn't bounce too much, and handle vibration as minimal to non existant. I've tried it in some red oak, which took a few swings to pop apart, but I put much less effort into it then the wilton. Once the splits were halved, the fiskers easily split the rest with little input from me. The more wedge design of the head, then the traditional maul design (I think) lends to its ability to easily separate the wood. The coating on the head is already half wore off. I assumed it would be as such, but was a little disappointed that it happened so quickly. I've split roughly half a cord give or take with it. I really like the lower part of the handle grip area, with and with out gloves you have a good purchase, and do not feel as though it will slip from your grasp. I think this will eventually wear off as it's a more rubber type of plastic, dont dont forsee it being an issue for quite some time. I feel it's a very good value for the money they ask, and (after some use) consider it to be my favorite maul, I may even sell off my wilton, which is a good maul, just not quite as good as the fiskers imo.

Not to be a smart a**, but it is good to have a variety of tools for different situations. I even found times when a Fiskars X25 style maul worked better than the X27 syle, and vice versa. Plus, you have an extra, if one breaks, or can maybe con someone else into splitting along side you.

Philbert

Not to be a smart a**, but it is good to have a variety of tools for different situations. I even found times when a Fiskars X25 style maul worked better than the X27 syle, and vice versa. Pluse you have an extra, if one breaks, or can maybe con someone else into splitting along side you.

Philbert

Absolutely agree with Philbert. As buckin' says, take several axes when you go to the pile.
I will always swap to a smaller axe as soon as a round has popped.

Thanks for the review though
To be fair, I really like the wilton maul, it was by far leaps and bounds ahead of the standard true temper or whatever brand generic maul. I just really cant get past the stumpy handle, and that has always been an issue for me. I will head your advice for the time being, and keep it around. I was really surprised how much more I liked the fiskers, and likely wont touch the wilton unless I break the fiskers, but as you both astutely quipped. I can always get someone else to use it for me. Cheers gents.

Tbh, sell the Wilton, but then get something smaller. An x25, x21 or such like. If I could only take one axe to the pile I'd pick something about 3.5 lbs and on a 28"-30" haft. That sort of size is a joy to use and can do a lot. Use the big maul to halve or quarter big rounds or on gnarly stuff but swap to the smaller axe as much as possible.

See that handle??? There is an old Jet Li movie, The One, that’s right fellas.... there is only1 choice when it comes to hand held splitting devices.
X27

Attachments

• 089DA793-A85A-49FE-80FE-8AB327FC9AB1.jpeg
    089DA793-A85A-49FE-80FE-8AB327FC9AB1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Well, after reading all your glowing reviews about the X27, I bought one with a 36" handle. I haven't split wood by hand since the time I helped my uncle split wood with a crappy old maul and some splitting wedges. I swore I would never swing a splitting maul again. That's why I use the hydraulic splitter.
However this tool is a game changer. I don't think it's any faster than the hydraulic splitter (not yet) in my big 20" long maple rounds. I think where it will excel is the up to 12" diameter rounds. I do like the exercise/stress relief from splitting wood by hand.
30 minutes splitting
20210330_203402.jpg
What do you guys think of the Fiskars 8 lb maul? I was waffling between the two.
Lee

Well, after reading all your glowing reviews about the X27, I bought one with a 36" handle. I haven't split wood by hand since the time I helped my uncle split wood with a crappy old maul and some splitting wedges. I swore I would never swing a splitting maul again. That's why I use the hydraulic splitter.
However this tool is a game changer. I don't think it's any faster than the hydraulic splitter (not yet) in my big 20" long maple rounds. I think where it will excel is the up to 12" diameter rounds. I do like the exercise/stress relief from splitting wood by hand.
30 minutes splitting
View attachment 898306
What do you guys think of the Fiskars 8 lb maul? I was waffling between the two.
Lee
The Fiskars maul is great for tough wood. Not something you want to swing all day.

Even though I can drive by the historic Collins factory in about 10 minutes, I don't find their vintage axes around here. So what would be decent newly produced chopping and splitting axes to look for to have around for personal use in the yard? I wouldn't have the knowledge to know what to look for in the vintage market and really haven't come across any at tag sales.

Even though I can drive by the historic Collins factory in about 10 minutes, I don't find their vintage axes around here. So what would be decent newly produced chopping and splitting axes to look for to have around for personal use in the yard? I wouldn't have the knowledge to know what to look for in the vintage market and really haven't come across any at tag sales.
The answer is-whatever you like. I judge an axe head by its face. You want a narrow profiled axe with a good sized head for chopping. A larger axe or smaller maul did splitting.

Altho I do almost all my splitting hydraulically, I do have a Fiskars 8 lb. isocore, and that thing is sweet. Wish I'd had one back in the day. I split everything by hand for 40-plus years. Got so tired of replacing wood handles that I welded a steel handle on my maul back in the '80s. That thing was hard on the hands, but it stood up to years of abuse.

The key to swinging a maul (same with an axe) is to get the momentum of a a full-round swing through centrifugal force. In other words, bring it around behind you so the head travels in a full circle. If you lift it in front of you and bring it down, you'll be worn out in no time.

Back