Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good news today. The head loosened again after one swing at a round. Oh well. Not what I had hoped for & I admit I was blinded by optimism in those previous posts.
But I'd still like to find an alternative to boiled lineed oil or water. I'll keep trying.

Cheers

Picked up a couple X15,s at local w mart today. Had them priced same as other axes- $24.96.I bought both of them (one goes to my brother). Been wanting one of these for some time.
31acb71d84958cdfffc77f909e64cb88.jpg
e07adb7ac38415397b9b7583d2809d3e.jpg

Not good news today. The head loosened again after one swing at a round. Oh well. Not what I had hoped for & I admit I was blinded by optimism in those previous posts.
But I'd still like to find an alternative to boiled lineed oil or water. I'll keep trying.

Cheers

I was wondering if the oil gets drawn up, wouldn't it also reduce the friction between handle and head?

Ronaldo: Can't beat that, WalyWorld at its best right there.

dancan: Good point, I will follow up on that. I will post pics, but this was originally a plastic handle model that I put a wood handle in so its more like a small pick handle.

1 stihl nut: Sure seems possible, I wondered the same thing.

Ronaldo: Can't beat that, WalyWorld at its best right there.

dancan: Good point, I will follow up on that. I will post pics, but this was originally a plastic handle model that I put a wood handle in so its more like a small pick handle.

1 stihl nut: Sure seems possible, I wondered the same thing.

I HAVEN'T DONE THIS..for axe handles, but po man's waterprooofing and sealing is a solid amount of white wood glue mixed with real hot water, all the way to half and half. You want hot and plenty of stirring.. Mixes up well then. I would think that it would draw up, soak in, eventually harden and be pretty secure. this is a pure guess though. Not over oil soaked though, have to be new clean dry wood so it soaks up the most.

Zogger, as the water evaporates won't it leave just the glue in the fibers and the gluebeing 50%of the original liquod the handle will be 50% loose...... just guessing

In other news Gander MT has gerber brand camp axes that look like fiskars but with sweet kawasaki racing green handles instead of fiskars orange.

Zogger, as the water evaporates won't it leave just the glue in the fibers and the gluebeing 50%of the original liquod the handle will be 50% loose...... just guessing

In other news Gander MT has gerber brand camp axes that look like fiskars but with sweet kawasaki racing green handles instead of fiskars orange.

Don't know, never tried it. Don't know how much of the glue will go up into the wood cells, some I would think, if the handle starts out pretty dry.

Yup, have seen em in there. They do look cool and the bright lime green makes them easier to find.

Woke up early with high intentions. Then I cooked a big breakfast and am ready for a siesta. Good thing I didn't get into the bloody Mary's or I'd really be feeling lazy.

We have another day of soccer games and in between I'm helping a family member move. So no scrounging here.

Well, I picked up an x27 yesterday.

It doesn't say x27, and the handle is all black, but I'm sure that is what it is.

I'm a bit of a skeptic, and in spite of the fact that svk endorses them, it seems to be pretty effective.

If I didn't make any progress on a chunk after 3 wacks, I brought out the 8 lb splitting maul. It fared no better. It was light and easy to swing. And it split the wood.

I will continue to make comparisons, and will fill y'all in.

Well, I picked up an x27 yesterday.

It doesn't say x27, and the handle is all black, but I'm sure that is what it is.

I'm a bit of a skeptic, and in spite of the fact that svk endorses them, it seems to be pretty effective.

If I didn't make any progress on a chunk after 3 wacks, I brought out the 8 lb splitting maul. It fared no better. It was light and easy to swing. And it split the wood.

I will continue to make comparisons, and will fill y'all in.
I'm not even sure which way to go with this one ;)

Here's my next project, resurrecting both of these for the children's camp staff.

The Jersey head is a Plumb brand and had a handle that was way too short and had become loose beyond repair.

The other head I believe is an Ames. Someone must have given it a major over strike as the fiberglass is cracked inside of the head.

Both of these will receive a nice 36" hardwood handle and the Ames will need a little work on the cutting edge.

View attachment 405620
Picked up new handles for both of these heads today. We'll hang them tomorrow between soccer games and test them out on some aspen rounds before sending them back to upstate NY.

Latest posts

Back