Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the purpose of a short straight handle like this? Not sure if this was a specialty handle or just whatever was laying around when the head needed a new handle.

image.jpg

I don't think I have cracked the riddle, but I have a couple thoughts on that axe, svk.

I know some timber fallers have favored a shorter handle for pounding wedges, although many prefer a long handle and a #5 head. There is such a thing as a "miner's axe" which is a "ful size" axe with a short handle for working in tunnels. I don't know much about miner's axes as I have only read about them on the web. House Handle Co. sells a miner's handle.

You never know, but somebody probably wanted it that way for a reason.
How much do think it weighs?

I don't think I have cracked the riddle, but I have a couple thoughts on that axe, svk.

I know some timber fallers have favored a shorter handle for pounding wedges, although many prefer a long handle and a #5 head. There is such a thing as a "miner's axe" which is a "ful size" axe with a short handle for working in tunnels. I don't know much about miner's axes as I have only read about them on the web. House Handle Co. sells a miner's handle.

You never know, but somebody probably wanted it that way for a reason.
How much do think it weighs?
Some good ideas.

I'm terrible with weights. Not counting my two true splitting axes it's the largest head I have.

The fit and wedging are very professional looking although my grandpa was an excellent finishing carpenter so I can't rule out a re-handle job from him.

I got enough trouble busting thru wood with a maul, much less a 4 headed one.....heh

I asked the lady at Wally World when they were going to get some X27 in, she said she would put on next order and be in a couple weeks. After breaking 2 hickory handles and bending steel handle, want to try the composite.

I should be able to get after it this weekend on some white oak rounds I have stashed out in the woods.

Okay, I'm still waiting sir. The smash maul or whatever it's called is on sale at Bailey's so lets speed this test up! lol

I still really like the X27 but it doesn't do a great job on the white oak pieces I've been trying to split. May need something with a bit more heft to get through them.

Seriously the more I look at splitting tools, the more it becomes clear that a steep angle on the face seems to yield better results. Like the Fiskars, Gransfors, etc. I spent some time with Chucker last week and he had a well used maul that also followed these lines. He made some impressive one shot kills too.

Council Tool maul? I hear they are only $25 bucks and have "excellent smithy work". Made in North Carolina too ;)

I may have to try it. Was hoping I could get away with a very minimalist approach to firewood scrounging but my gear is slowly adding up.

Seriously the more I look at splitting tools, the more it becomes clear that a steep angle on the face seems to yield better results. Like the Fiskars, Gransfors, etc. I spent some time with Chucker last week and he had a well used maul that also followed these lines. He made some impressive one shot kills too.

You think the Fiskars has a steep angle? Doesn't seem as steep as other mauls I've seen. I've used it as a chopping axe (a duty in which it sucks) to free my bar a few times.

Back