Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CT, that one second from the right, thats the one I got my eye on.

Yo Matt, John here. Dunno who "CT" is. That's where, not who.

That 2.5 kg Wetterlings is, to me, indistinguishable from the maul branded for Husqy. Last I saw, the Husqy one was selling for half as much in Shokan NY. Best ask Bob for current number.

I'm not selling, nor shilling, for anyone's product, but I'd suggest a side-by-side with ($155, backordered) Mueller 3 kg and ($25) Council Tools 6- pounder, before pulling out plastic. The reason for that suggestion could become clearer, maybe at Jimmy's or later at Steve's. It's all about matching strong-points to usage, and to me they all have their niche. Your mileage will vary.

PS: If you want Bob to get an alert re your question, tag him in your post, as "@spike60". Just lose the quotes.

Yo Matt, John here. Dunno who "CT" is. That's where, not who.

That 2.5 kg Wetterlings is, to me, indistinguishable from the maul branded for Husqy. Last I saw, the Husqy one was selling for half as much in Shokan NY. Best ask Bob for current number.

I'm not selling, nor shilling, for anyone's product, but I'd suggest a side-by-side with ($155, backordered) Mueller 3 kg and ($25) Council Tools 6- pounder, before pulling out plastic. The reason for that suggestion could become clearer, maybe at Jimmy's or later at Steve's. It's all about matching strong-points to usage, and to me they all have their niche. Your mileage will vary.

PS: If you want Bob to get an alert re your question, tag him in your post, as "@spike60". Just lose the quotes.
You'll probably ignore me but I'm going to pose the question anyhow. What makes the Council product superior to the other value to mid-priced 6# mauls? That's an honest question.

CT, I call you that because that's your screenNAME. So to me your name on this site is CTYank, CT for short. John is your real name, so that's probably what id call you when talking to you in person at a GTG. Just my way of thinking, pretty sure you and everybody else knows who Im talking to when I say, "hey CT"..........just like svk knows I mean him when I say svk, don't gotta say Steve, or spike instead of Bob.

You'll probably ignore me but I'm going to pose the question anyhow. What makes the Council product superior to the other value to mid-priced 6# mauls? That's an honest question.

As @Gologit says "No whining."

If you're trying to tie me down to proclaiming this tool to be "best of breed" for some spectrum of tools, nice try. That's not what I've said, or going to say. The original "mission statement" of @spike60 was that "each of us comment on the tools that we actually own and use. Pics if possible. Just share our personal opinions about what we like and don't like." I hope you see the huge difference.

At risk of being boringly repetitious: the main interesting attribute (to me) of the Council Tools 6-pounder is the metallurgy- excellent combination of hardness & toughness. IMO way beyond fiskars'. So the edge & the poll are essentially not at all malleable. They're forged by skilled humans from excellent alloy, and given very sophisticated heat-treatment.

Second, their head shape, with a subtle bulge either side, to a bit more than 1" behind the edge, enables them to split fibers efficiently.

This presupposes that, like you'd do with most edge tools, you spend a few minutes finishing up work on the edge. If I break the handle in a few years, a quick, simple and cheap replacement will do nicely.

Discussions can be interesting, maybe save some folks (like me) from reinventing wheels, but folks who insist on reframing/restructuring things are not contributing, but obstructing. Back to Giorgio & "Ancient Aliens". :rolleyes:

As @Gologit says "No whining."

If you're trying to tie me down to proclaiming this tool to be "best of breed" for some spectrum of tools, nice try. That's not what I've said, or going to say. The original "mission statement" of @spike60 was that "each of us comment on the tools that we actually own and use. Pics if possible. Just share our personal opinions about what we like and don't like." I hope you see the huge difference.

At risk of being boringly repetitious: the main interesting attribute (to me) of the Council Tools 6-pounder is the metallurgy- excellent combination of hardness & toughness. IMO way beyond fiskars'. So the edge & the poll are essentially not at all malleable. They're forged by skilled humans from excellent alloy, and given very sophisticated heat-treatment.

Second, their head shape, with a subtle bulge either side, to a bit more than 1" behind the edge, enables them to split fibers efficiently.

This presupposes that, like you'd do with most edge tools, you spend a few minutes finishing up work on the edge. If I break the handle in a few years, a quick, simple and cheap replacement will do nicely.

Discussions can be interesting, maybe save some folks (like me) from reinventing wheels, but folks who insist on reframing/restructuring things are not contributing, but obstructing. Back to Giorgio & "Ancient Aliens". :rolleyes:
As I said earlier it was a serious question and the second half of your post answered that. Thank you. And there's no sarcasm intended in that statement, FYI.

You can buy it and pass it around ala leveraxe, should start making firewood again come march/april so send it to my house then for um....... testing, yeah testing.

I'd pony up some coin to give it a try but 400 clams is a new limbing saw or half a hydro splitter. Or 6 bottles of scotch, dinner at a steak house with friends, etc.

I went out and cut a small load of wood today , drug with me a few of my splitters .

IMG_20141130_133641.jpg

No big monsters , just red maple blocked up in 12" to 20" lengths .

IMG_20141130_140008.jpg

I decided to run the GB today .

IMG_20141130_140359_1.jpg

IMG_20141130_142326.jpg

Works well and feels good in the hands , the metal guard has protected the handle on my missed aim or when it splits but leaves splinters from hitting the far side of the round .
Is if worth the asking price , polly not but I got it as a returned item at 50% so I feel it's worth that and a x25 is about 50$ up here so it wasn't much more :)

I went out and cut a small load of wood today , drug with me a few of my splitters .

No big monsters , just red maple blocked up in 12" to 20" lengths .

IMG_20141130_140008.jpg

I decided to run the GB today .

Works well and feels good in the hands , the metal guard has protected the handle on my missed aim or when it splits but leaves splinters from hitting the far side of the round .
Is if worth the asking price , polly not but I got it as a returned item at 50% so I feel it's worth that and a x25 is about 50$ up here so it wasn't much more :)

The shape of that looks quite good and the metal guard is a decent addition. I wish all wood handled axes/mauls came with such a guard. Plain wood tends to disintegrate right there where the most stress is. My husky axe has no guard, and even with light use and me not being too shabby with an axe it is already getting crunched. Basically retired it until I find a guard for it or make something.

The price is $176. 450 is the cat number. Still way more than I would pay for ANY splitting tool. I have one, but only paid $15 for it, I would have let the other bidder have it if it had gone for more than $20.
Check again, $399.99 I think you are mistaking this for a different too.
image.jpg

Clarification. You have the original style X27. The other axe in that photo is the super split. This was the predecessor to the x27

The newer style x27 is all black.
And doesn't say x-27 on anything... I bought one last week to compare to my council tools axe.
I'll post pics later

Back