Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+1 for SkillCult. He needs to refine the art of making a video and not talk as much, but all in all he provides really good info - especially on axemanship. I like his cordwood challenge idea.

I've not used it on my axes but I find a diamond grit stone much better than a whet stone on my kitchen knives. Although tbh i've only recently bought it so only done each knife once so far.

'Better' is such a subjective term. Diamond definitely cut faster and with less effort; however, diamond stones are expensive. I have a dual diamond stone in 1500/2000 grit for fine honing knives and it's excellent. Eventually I'll use all diamond stones, but for now the inexpensive whetstones work pretty darn good. For axes, up to 1000 grit and stropping gets them shaving sharp with ease.

Tried out the arvika ,it splits nice ,but the short 32 inch handle makes me bend over a bit with my golf swing when the rounds are sideways on the ground ,i am going to cut it off and put a 36 on the head ,for tree cutting and wedge pounding the 32 would be fine though ,or if i took the time to lift the rounds up onto a block ,It does stick in wet rounds more than the x27 fiskars ,but that is expected with the thinner profile ,most of the strait grained alder hardwood that has been down since last summer was popping first swing .

IMG_5193.JPG IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5235.JPG IMG_5247.JPG IMG_5054.JPG IMG_5235.JPG IMG_5036.JPG IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5206.JPG Here's my spliter all hand made. I'm pretty happy with it. 3" diameter screw. I did all the machine work besides I had to pay a guy to reverse thread the 7/8 tip and he threaded it for me. Splits some wood at idle. I had a HF motor in it the pumped it up but it quite running for some reason not sure so I got a 11 hp Honda engine geared about 10-1 spins 380 rpm or so.

Attachments

• IMG_5255.JPG
    IMG_5255.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 16
Looks great man but build yourself some chain covers or guards! that is an accident waiting to happen!

Anyone find any Black Friday deals on axes?

I found a "refurbished" jersey pattern at an antique shop but they repainted it with a decent amount of mushroom left on the poll and they wanted $30. They also had a smaller axe head for 8 bucks but someone had welded a steel pipe on it as a handle. :dumb:

Went grocery shopping at Walmart and as I was picking up charcoal in the garden section I noticed the Fiskars products were NOT marked down.

Nowadays at age 63 I pretty much run a power splitter. In the past the best maul I ever used on hardwood was the 11.4 pounder my Son made me in High 24 years ago. By far it out splits any hardware store maul I purchased, and it always kept a sharp edge. That's my maul review wrapped up in a nutshell.DSCN4558.JPG DSCN4559.JPG

I had a commercially made, triangular head splitting maul, that someone gave me when they moved. I think that it was a 'Monster Maul' brand, but I see lots of versions sold under lots of names. It went on CraigsList as soon as I compared it to my Fiskars.

Lots of ways to split. Everybody has to find what works for them, and the type(s) of wood that they are splitting.

I can't justify a powered splitter for the little that I do at home, or the space that it would take. But I really liked the 2-way splitter I tried, and it would be a good choice for the smaller size of wood that I use in my fireplace insert.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ran-a-2-way-splitter-sunday.190097/

Philbert

Back