Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spendy.

Steve, you're the closest to arbs official splitting tool group review authority/organisation, send them a message and offer to do a travelling spendy-axe review like with the lever axe.
Hey good thinking! Would be cool to see but I'm sure it would receive the same final comment as the LA: not worth the money.

Yeah the NYC bit was pretty funny.

Reminds me of that old Pace salsa commercial where the competing brand was made in NYC.

They aren't made in NYC, only they are "designed" and the company is based there. The steel heads are drop forged, hardened and tempered by Council Tool in North Carolina, then they are hung a by Best Made's Axe Shop in Maryland.

It's just slick marketing for a private label re-branding with a huge mark-up in price. For that kind of coin you can get one of those John Neeman/Northman axes and no hipster vibe.

That's funny being the Council is a ~$35 tool

Yeah, but guess you're then paying for fit and finish... which IMHO isn't that much more value.

Don't let me stop you, to each their own. My comment was only my opinion, and opinions are like butt holes — everyone has one and they all stink!

In all seriousness, I'm not one to talk about spending good money on quality tools and axes. Last June I ordered one of the Liam Hoffman axes, put a deposit on it with a 12-14 month lead time. When it's all said and done it'll have cost me about $320.

Plus, I'm also eyeing up those Russian Toporsib Sable axes, which are in the $230 range.

Yeah, but guess you're then paying for fit and finish... which IMHO isn't that much more value.

Don't let me stop you, to each their own. My comment was only my opinion, and opinions are like butt holes — everyone has one and they all stink!

In all seriousness, I'm not one to talk about spending good money on quality tools and axes. Last June I ordered one of the Liam Hoffman axes, put a deposit on it with a 12-14 month lead time. When it's all said and done it'll have cost me about $320.

Plus, I'm also eyeing up those Russian Toporsib Sable axes, which are in the $230 range.
Paying for quality is definitely understandable.

Think we could buy a couple thousand of them and rebadge them the "AR Special". Ax Restoration Special. If we resold them for 2-300 percent profit we could fly all of the "AR" guys to a central location and have a crab feast!

My brother in law bought me this axe unfinished a few years ago for a gift. They want $188 for it today but I don't think it was that pricey when he bought mine.
I'm not much help on how it preforms... its so nice I can't bring myself to use it. It looks and feels like a quality axe though.

BTW cool thread guys!! Over the last month or so I have read it start to finish and just got done.

Thought I'd add a few more words about the fiskars x17. I've had it about 6 months now and although I've not done loads of splitting ( I have a 5 and 1/2 month old daughter too so been a bit busy) I've split 2/3 or maybe a cord with it. I've just been using it again on some Oak and it really really impresses me. Being a foot shorter and 2lb lighter than the X27 it clearly didn'td have the power of that tool but it does have a stunning amount, and like the X27 it rarely sticks and just feels so right. I've got in the habit of using the X27 to " chunk up" big rounds which need the power of that tool, or even the big boy stihl 8lber, but once i have a pile of quarter/sixth rounds I'll grab the x17 and use it to rattle through the splitting down to 3-5" splits that I need for my small stove. The x17 splits forth with ease, and is so much less work then the bigger tools for that job. So if you split small, it's great for easy stuff. If you have a big stove and load 8-10" splits it probably isn't for you though.
I can't remember for certain if this is an x17. Does this look like yours? It works for light splitting as you stated, but really shines as a regular axe for chopping.
225d72cb1f90b7e360fcbcd02a3eaa83.jpg
652373ed3e749a04fd6dba4353d8e721.jpg
d1a1db3bd29d05ad38ea5f51a02f63dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hi Ron,

The black handled "chopping axe" is basically a X-15 (x-15 is a chopping axe vs the X-17 being a light splitter). The only difference is the all black tool has a longer handle than the X-15. I have both and really like them although the one you have performs better due to the longer handle.

Latest posts

Back