Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or take it off!!!!!

Philbert
My Dad was 6' with a 28 inch waist and a 48 inch chest. His nick name was Buns, because when he got out of WWII his shop was next to a bakery and he would get half a dozen custard eclairs for breakfast every day. He still had a 28 inch waist until he retired in 1986 at age 63. It also kept it off, even after he quit eating eclairs.

I have several folding and straight blade pruning saws. I mostly use them for marking logs with an 18" stick for firewood now. I have Fiskars, Corona, Fanno, and maybe Wesspur. But, the fastest cutter was the Teflon coated one in this pick. It's the one that stuck in my knee. I was cutting off a limb about the size of my upper arm. On the 3rd stroke the blade went through and kept going and stuck in my knee cap. It hurt.
jIQF1x8.jpg
Saw on the left with the scabbard?

My Dad was 6' with a 28 inch waist and a 48 inch chest. His nick name was Buns, because when he got out of WWII his shop was next to a bakery and he would get half a dozen custard eclairs for breakfast every day. He still had a 28 inch waist until he retired in 1986 at age 63. It also kept it off, even after he quit eating eclairs.
A combination of great metabolism and high activity!

I couldn't gain weight if I tried till college and have ridden the diet rollercoaster ever since. Although my birth father was his heaviest in his 30's as well and now is lean and eats more less what he wants and keeps it off with modest exercise.

Happened to go into Lowe’s the other night.

Some decent tools. The grain alignment on the wood handled tools was rough but maybe one in 6 was good.

The Truper brand axes are identical to my Husky axe from Hone Depot except the Truper has reliefs cut into the cheeks.

B81FE73B-1396-4805-BA11-29F9C9E3C3AC.jpeg

The new mass produced Leveraxe do not come with a sharpened edge. This needs serious work to look like the original hand produced model.
38BD734A-C62B-4A0B-901B-B13F179037D7.jpeg

Happened to go into Lowe’s the other night.

Some decent tools. The grain alignment on the wood handled tools was rough but maybe one in 6 was good.

The Truper brand axes are identical to my Husky axe from Hone Depot except the Truper has reliefs cut into the cheeks.

View attachment 639575

The new mass produced Leveraxe do not come with a sharpened edge. This needs serious work to look like the original hand produced model.
View attachment 639576
Where did you find a lever axe? How much?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

oh f**k, you said it, you said l e v e r a x e. its like saying 6 6 6 at midnight on a full moon...satan will appear and ruin the thread with links to youtube and reviews of his product. that guy mist have the best search engine and notification system going, google can pick up a thing or 2 from him.

oh f**k, you said it, you said l e v e r a x e. its like saying 6 6 6 at midnight on a full moon...satan will appear and ruin the thread with links to youtube and reviews of his product. that guy mist have the best search engine and notification system going, google can pick up a thing or 2 from him.
Oh that’s funny.

There’s a reason I didn’t put this in the dedicated LA thread.... lol.

I haven't got a pic yet, but I bought a new Ace Hardware/Collins double. It was $31 and I had a $10 off card. I got it to practice throwing because I'm afraid to hurt the Plumb Double that Clarence hung for me. It's a work of art. The Collins is 3 1/2 pounds and a bit heavy to throw. My first throw it looked like slow motion and it rotated 180 degrees from release and hit square on the handle end. The handle is WAY TOO FAT. It feels like holding the fat end of a baseball bat. I'm going to shave and flatten it, going for an octagonal shape to the handle. I'll also shorten it to about 28". Maybe I can learn to throw it then. Oh, I did chop down a little Gum with it. It chops OK, the blade is sharp enough for a factory grind, and the handle is too fat to grip comfortably. I'll update on how it throws after the adjustments. That's all I use axes for, I have saws and a splitter for the other stuff.:)

Just sharpened/dressed these today and figured I would share. Here's what I use until I get a wood splitter.....

8lb true temper maul. It busts like crazy and gets the most use. I want a wooden handle maul but I'm not accurate enough when using my wedges....getting there though.

That black and yellow handle axe is more of a garden tool, it's not good for splitting any type of wood.

3lb and 5lb wedges with a 4lb hammer to get them started.

Plumb hatchet and a Estwing roofing hatchet that I shaped to match the Plumb shape. I use the Plumb to split 2x4 kindling (had to wrap the handle because it was too small for my hand). The Estwing is a solid tool but haven't found a good use for it yet.

I am going to fit a handle to that axe head hoping I'll have a better axe then the other one I have. I found that pry bar the other day and just knocked the rust off and threw it in the pic....it's actually a Snap-On.20180322_191315.jpg

I love the little Plumb, is there a makers mark on the polished head? Joe.
I haven't even paid attention. I'll check when I go back out there tomorrow. It would be perfect if the handle fit better....I hate that wrap on it.

Latest posts

Back